Sterling hits fresh 31-year low against the dollar as investors fret over the prospect of a 'hard Brexit'
Sterling has hit a fresh 31-year low against the US dollar as investors fretted over the prospect of a 'hard Brexit' following Britain's vote to leave the European Union.
The pound fell to as low as $1.2623 at one stage and €1.13 against the single currency on another brutal day.
The slump follows Theresa May's pledge this week to trigger Article 50 by March next year – paving the way for a so-called 'hard Brexit' that would pull the UK out of the single market as well as the EU.
RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next Resurgent stock market kickstarts London listings: Misys... Atom Bank opens... read more
- 08:55 Toshiba forecasts loss due to tax hit on chip sale
- 08:54 Gossip: New contract for Wilshere?
- 08:53 Gemma Collins compares herself to Bridget Jones after spectacularly...
- 08:53 Starstruck Gemma Collins meets Stormzy and she can’t quite believe it
- 08:53 Steps to play Open Air Theatre in 2018
- 08:53 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 08:53 Liverpool News: Klopp speaks out, Ancelotti appointment claim,...
- 08:53 Pakistan vs Sri Lanka LIVE stream: How to watch fifth ODI cricket...
- 08:52 What’s being planned where you live in Ashfield?
- 08:52 What’s being planned in Mansfield?
- 08:50 Liverpool news LIVE updates: Klopp blasts players, Lovren hits...
- 08:50 Jamie Redknapp's Team of the Week: Huddersfield and Spurs dominate...
- 08:49 Glossier launches its first ever fragrance
- 08:46 Why you shouldn't ask your GP for antibiotics
- 08:46 Chelsea star Pedro sends message to his team-mates
- 08:45 Lincolnshire vets warn pet owners of fireworks trauma
- 08:44 Crackdown on speeding in Notts
- 08:44 What’s being planned where you live in Ashfield?
- 08:43 Indian ecostay described as a 'pocket of heaven' plans to open...
- 08:43 Walsh, Gill and Cole announced as Doctor Who companions
- 08:42 Liverpool repeating mistakes, heads would have rolled at Man Utd -...
- 08:42 Long delays on A180 after two accidents near Stallingborough...
- 08:40 Man found dead after fall from Aberdeen-based drilling ship in...
- 08:39 Why you shouldn't ask your GP for antibiotics
- 08:39 How to check if you need to pay the new T-Charge
- 08:38 Carlisle man left with horrific injuries after alleged altercation...
- 08:38 Former UFC fighter Norman Parke punched by cornerman after KSW...
- 08:38 Simon Cowell in Cheryl's bad books after cheeky jibe over her...
- 08:38 World War 3: Japan has 'NO TIME for dialogue' as threat of war with...
- 08:38 M6 southbound closed after 'serious collision'