Sterling fails to shake off hard-Brexit blues
Sterling slipped below $1.24 on Monday, extending last week's heavy losses, as investors bet that Britain will undergo a "hard Brexit" - a total split from Europe's single market.
Trading in the pound was markedly calmer than on Friday, when a "flash crash" wiped out a tenth of its value in a matter of minutes in early Asian trade. But sentiment towards sterling remained gloomy, with speculators' bets against it having reached record highs in the week to last Tuesday. [IMM/FX]
Losses accelerated last week on Brexit worries, after Prime Minister Theresa May set a March... read more
- 08:22 Ulverston teen locked up for attacking his mum in front of a child
- 08:20 Tomorrow's cities - nightmare vision of the future?
- 08:20 Arsenal’s Hector Bellerin eyed again for Barcelona transfer
- 08:20 Stratford Masters impress in tough Worcester event
- 08:20 Humberside Police chief constable announces retirement
- 08:20 Green light given to plans for iconic Mytholmroyd store
- 08:19 How my doctors made me doubt my invisible illness
- 08:19 Road sealed off in Oldbury after man injured outside newsagents
- 08:19 The morning news headlines: Door won't shut on EU migrant workers -...
- 08:19 Cash grants of up to £25,000 up for grabs to help tackle mental...
- 08:18 Ross Taylor sends New Zealand records tumbling as unbeaten 102...
- 08:18 Leicester City must forget about title triumph, says Jamie Vardy:...
- 08:18 Fabio Cannavaro admits Tianjin Quanjian approach for Manchester...
- 08:18 Antoine Griezmann wants to 'carry on making history' at Atletico...
- 08:18 Scott Macnab: Indyref2 poses new arguments
- 08:18 Leicestershire weather: Sunny spells developing today. Wet and...
- 08:17 Chelsea facing transfer blow: Star set for Bundesliga move this summer
- 08:17 Uma Thurman ‘Turning down Lord of the Rings was one of the WORST...
- 08:16 Nurse who slept on duty is suspended
- 08:16 Arson investigation after 'toilet set on fire' during Slimming...
- 08:14 Students in Euxton learn about ‘British Values’
- 08:14 Bucket used to throw paint over car in Heysham
- 08:13 Trains and ferries cancelled after 500lb German bomb found in...
- 08:13 Lloyds annual profits soar to £4.24bn
- 08:13 Motorcyclist, 40, killed after colliding with parked van
- 08:12 New police chief inspector outlines ambitions for Grimsby
- 08:12 Surviving South Yorkshire D Day veterans offered free trip to...
- 08:12 Nearly 200 properties hit by power cut in Sheffield
- 08:12 US visitors lead rise in North West tourism figures
- 08:12 Everything you need to know to protect your kids' teeth