Stark warning that common painkillers used by millions can increase risk of heart failure
PAINKILLERS used by millions can raise your risk of heart failure, experts have warned.
Non-selective non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen can increase your chances of being admitted to hospital with the heart problem, according to a study.
Last year almost 15 million NSAID prescription items were dispensed in England.
Previous research has linked the drugs to abnormal heart rhythm - which can cause heart failure - and an increased risk of heart attack and stroke if taken regularly.
The drugs - together with a sub-group of anti-inflammatories known as selective COX-2... read more
- 17:40 Extraordinary fundraising week at Wreake Valley Academy for...
- 17:40 Top TV picks
- 17:40 Saturday night film
- 17:40 135 years of history celebrated at Barrow Salvation Army special...
- 17:40 Festive fever comes to Barrow at the launch of popular grotto
- 17:38 Norway government wins backing for 2017 budget, prevents collapse
- 17:37 Mysterious figure dubbed the 'Ruskington Horror' spotted near Sleaford
- 17:37 The picture postcard views of Lincoln Christmas Market
- 17:36 80 homes heading to old Harvestime Bakery site
- 17:36 West Bromwich postcode strikes gold with £3 million lottery prize
- 17:35 Arsene Wenger says Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey was not ‘100 per...
- 17:33 Church of England jumped on 'middle-class Brexit bandwagon', bishop...
- 17:30 Meet the prolific fundraiser donating 60 hampers to deserving...
- 17:26 West Ham v Arsenal: Live Premier League scores and updates from the...
- 17:26 Rutland leads the way with mental health care project for young people
- 17:26 Share views on post-16 transport in Rutland
- 17:24 Road in Leicestershire closed due to serious collision
- 17:24 Brave Bradley Lowery wishes supporters a Merry Christmas as he...
- 17:24 Cousin remembers 'angel' Paige Collier with touching tribute
- 17:23 12 ways being a student ruins Christmas
- 17:22 UK Championship: Mark Selby beats Shaun Murphy to reach third final
- 17:22 Barcelona 1-1 Real Madrid: Sergio Ramos' last-minute header rescues...
- 17:21 Launch of new independent womenswear shop in Harrogate
- 17:20 Will you marry Smee? Actor pops the question at Mansfield's pantomime
- 17:20 Pep Guardiola concedes Chelsea’s Antonio Conte won the tactical...
- 17:20 Barcelona 1-1 Real Madrid: Late Sergio Ramos goal cancels Luis...
- 17:19 Man City v Chelsea chaos: Howard Webb speaks out on Sergio Aguero...
- 17:18 Police advise youngsters on how to stay safe
- 17:18 Derbyshire police investigates reports of historic child abuse in...
- 17:17 Strictly Ballroom is another notch for young actor