Star salaries demand a bid to dismantle BBC says Doctor Who's Capaldi
The Scottish actor said the clause in the BBC's new royal charter, which requires the corporation to disclose the pay of talent earning more than £150,000 a year, was part of an attempt to "dismantle" the broadcaster.
He was backed by Doctor Who writer Steven Moffat, who described the proposal as "intrusive, invasive nonsense".
Capaldi told the Press Association: "It's people just embarking upon attacking the BBC for no particular reason other than they'd like to dismantle it because it is powered by an ethos of artistic spirit, ambition and intelligence that is no... read more
- 09:35 Hartlepool boss hails amazing support at Blackpool
- 09:35 Whisper it but cup winners Dundee United enjoyed their day in the...
- 09:35 Scotland boss Gordon Strachan stayed calm amid all the Hampden...
- 09:35 World Curling Championships: Thrilling finish sees Scots win world...
- 09:35 Doncaster chef lands starring role in new Mrs Brown show on BBC1
- 09:34 Drugs raid on nightclub uncovers 40 cannabis plants
- 09:34 Serious house fire prompts smoke alarm warning
- 09:34 What YOU'VE been saying after police confiscate Mother's Day flowers
- 09:33 Pledge made to cut AIDS deaths
- 09:33 Rio Ferdinand: My kids would not talk about grief
- 09:33 Police concerned for missing man from Boston
- 09:33 Russia covered up a nuclear disaster four times worse than Chernobyl
- 09:33 School of the Week: St Cuthbert’s Primary School, Pateley Bridge
- 09:33 Ending Loneliness campaign event: Special opportunity to volunteer...
- 09:32 Alan Shearer: Jose Mourinho will make life tougher for this...
- 09:32 Louis van Gaal tipped to replace Man United star's dad at Holland -...
- 09:32 Joe Rogan not ruling out Conor McGregor KO'ing Floyd Mayweather: He...
- 09:32 Transfer News: Chelsea deal agreed, stunning Man Utd talks, player...
- 09:32 Biker hurt in west Cumbrian crash
- 09:31 Rush hour collision causes delays for motorists on main Doncaster...
- 09:31 China developers drag down Hong Kong shares after fresh property curbs
- 09:31 Doncaster chef lands starring role in new Mrs Brown show on BBC1
- 09:31 Drivers warned that section of A6 to remain closed until end of August
- 09:31 China upset as Japanese minister visits self-ruled Taiwan
- 09:31 Hong Kong protest leaders ominously told they face charges day...
- 09:31 Kane Williamson hits 148 to hand New Zealand first-innings...
- 09:30 Road blocked due to fracking demonstration
- 09:30 Apparently we should we all be aiming to walk 15,000 steps a day
- 09:30 Boozed-up husband assaulted his wife after a row
- 09:29 £2.37bn overspend on insurance to continue