St George's Day celebrations WILL go ahead, pledges Derby City Council leader Ranjit Banwait
The city council says it will organise a St George's Day celebration in Derby – despite the event having been axed from its budget.
The Telegraph reported yesterday how the annual parade to mark England's patron saint's day had been cut from Derby Live's programme in a bid to save £10,000.
This came alongside the authority's decision to end the Markeaton Park firework display, the Darley Park concert and Market Place Christmas lights switch-on – the latter event being rescued at the 11th hour by ex-mayor Lisa Higginbottom and arts group Furthest From The Sea.
And the news of the budget... read more
- 20:00 Real Madrid ready for chaos in Champions League final, says Zidane
- 19:59 Champions League final: Matt Le Tissier reveals where Liverpool...
- 19:56 Champions League Final: Liverpool FC need to ‘win it for Dundee...
- 19:50 Absence of swing leaves Anderson and Broad as baffled as the...
- 19:50 Armed bystanders gun down Oklahoma City restaurant shooter
- 19:47 Colombian police re-arrest Escobar hitman for extortion
- 19:46 Young Shetland residents to study island life for stage show
- 19:46 Scotland’s Kirk told to ‘give young the chance of leadership’
- 19:44 Hero science teacher shot three times as he swatted gun away from...
- 19:43 Arsenal transfer news: Unai Emery hopeful of signing Juventus star...
- 19:42 PICTURE: Woman hit by train at Doncaster Railway Station 'treated...
- 19:40 Bride-to-be dies suddenly after saying she felt ‘on top of the world’
- 19:35 No Dundee derbies as Dark Blues get Pars and United draw County
- 19:34 PICTURE: Woman hit by train at Doncaster Railway Station 'treated...
- 19:34 Donald Trump’s North Korea letter is given an F by unimpressed teacher
- 19:33 Missing Coleby twins remembered 75 years after deaths
- 19:33 Prestigious award for third year in a row
- 19:32 Michael Vaughan’s brutal assessment of England and Trevor Bayliss...
- 19:26 Donald Trump to be faced by army of tiny orange hands during UK visit
- 19:26 Vladimir Putin says Sergei Skripal would have ‘died immediately’ if...
- 19:26 PICTURE: Woman hit by train at Doncaster Railway Station 'treated...
- 19:25 Scotland to ‘keep the pound’ for years after independence vote
- 19:22 Beware of burglars this bank holiday - Cumbria Police
- 19:22 Man who swallowed razors and soiled himself in court is jailed for...
- 19:22 Brazilian president sends in army as truck protest strangles economy
- 19:21 Big Interview: North End boss Alex Neil on his debut season at...
- 19:19 Police appeal after Nelson road rage assault
- 19:16 Hiccup for Norton Lindsey & Wolverton Firsts
- 19:14 Car SOS stars launch motor museum exhibition
- 19:06 Wealth of delights in store at Lake festivities day