St Andrews students mark Raisin Monday with foam fight
Students at the University of St Andrews have marked the annual Raisin Weekend celebrations with the now customary foam fight. Held on the university's Lower College Lawn, the event is centred around the 'Academic Parent' tradition in which older students 'adopt' first years (known as bejants and bejantines) in a guiding and mentoring arrangement.
Traditionally, students were said to arrive at St Andrews with a bag of oatmeal and barrel of salt-herring, with anything more exotic regarded as a luxury.
In return for guidance from the 'Academic Parents', a pound of raisins was passed over in... read more
- 13:36 Mansfield woman found drunk in car after uncovering boyfriend’s lie
- 13:35 Lancaster businessman wins two Pride in the Job awards
- 13:35 Lidl to take part in Black Friday for the first time
- 13:36 Plea to “better off” Sheffield pensioners to donate fuel payments
- 13:35 Burrito bar’s Alice in Wonderland and Escape Rooms fun
- 13:36 CCTV clip: Men jailed for Chapeltown Road attack outside Leeds...
- 13:35 APPEAL: Man hit with crutch in Morecambe robbery
- 13:35 Lancaster sleep out to help homeless
- 13:35 More Children in Need photos
- 13:30 Preston cannot keep pace with Cheshire set
- 13:30 Hoppers hoping to ‘escape’ to victory
- 13:35 Diabetes diet cure REVEALED: Snacking could REDUCE severity of...
- 13:30 Preston North End 0-0 Bolton - Five things we learned
- 13:30 Brig’s late show is not enough
- 13:30 Chorley denied right at the death
- 13:30 Semi-final exit for Laura in Hong Kong
- 13:30 Lancashire Post PNE fans’ panel verdicts
- 13:30 Gally’s glad be back in action for PNE
- 13:30 Sean Gregan’s exclusive PNE column
- 13:30 Centre-forward role will be Mavididi’s long-term future says PNE boss
- 13:30 Gossip: Van man on the move?
- 13:35 Mansfield woman found drunk in car after uncovering boyfriend’s lie
- 13:30 LIVE: Preston North End news - Monday's updates from Deepdale
- 13:29 UCLAN GRADUATES 2017: School of Forensic and Applied Sciences
- 13:29 ‘Good’ rating for Morecambe beaches
- 13:29 Earth-sized planet discovered with 'mild' climate and peaceful...
- 13:29 Lancaster businessman wins two Pride in the Job awards
- 13:29 Driving examiners to stage 48-hour strike on day new test is launched
- 13:34 Under-fire Walsall boss insists: 'I am going to keep doing the job...
- 13:29 Work set to start on £17.5m Penwortham Bypass