Southern takes union to court in bid to avert rail strikes
Southern Railway is taking legal action to try to stop a series of strikes from Tuesday, according to the union at the centre of the bitter dispute over the role of conductors.
The Rail, Maritime and Transport union said it had received a legal challenge, just hours before the start of a three-day walkout.
Union members on Southern are due to strike from one minute past midnight tomorrow, causing fresh travel misery for passengers.
RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: "RMT can confirm the receipt of a formal legal challenge from Southern Rail in the guards safety dispute.
"It is... read more
- 01:41 'We're going to set the world on fire!' Tom Hanks says he has 'top...
- 01:41 'I take 100 pictures': Model Rosie Huntington-Whiteley reveals her...
- 01:36 Cancer Drugs Fund 'has not delivered meaningful value to patients...
- 01:36 Brexit uncertainty hits morale of NHS staff from EU - MPs
- 01:36 Arrest of man carrying bag of knives in Whitehall thought to...
- 01:36 Marine Alexander Blackman released from prison
- 01:36 Woman shot and four arrested in counter-terrorism operation
- 01:36 Ukip launches General Election campaign as PM moves to occupy...
- 01:36 Anthony Joshua gets a shock before facing Wladimir Klitschko as Dr...
- 01:36 Parkinson's disease 'could start in the STOMACH before spreading to...
- 01:33 'Dominant' London and South East to expand economic presence
- 01:31 Cancer Drugs Fund 'huge waste of money'
- 01:29 China Stocks-Factors to watch on Friday
- 01:19 US border residents take sides on the wall
- 01:19 Venezuela opposition leader denounces 'savage repression'
- 01:11 Albion Rovers boss Darren Young shocked after being told by letter...
- 01:10 Take your Zuckerberg to work day! Facebook founder spends the day...
- 01:10 Do YOU speak Doggo? From pupperinos to woofers, researchers reveal...
- 01:10 The $30 BILLION race to create an AI sex doll that can chat and...
- 01:09 NFL Draft 2017: Stars reveal what it's really like entering the NFL
- 00:58 Vauxhall 'reckless' over Zafira fires, say MPs
- 00:58 Jailed marine Alexander Blackman freed from prison
- 00:57 Cumbria's premier education and learning awards launched
- 00:56 Skyscanner chief honoured at digital technology awards
- 00:55 Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho accuses Sergio Aguero of...
- 00:50 Why 'breathing better' is the cure for hypertension
- 00:50 How sparkling water is wrecking your teeth: Gas in the drink is...
- 00:46 Risk of deeper involvement as U.S. weighs its options in Afghanistan
- 00:41 Future of cash: Can a 'bank in a box' replace a branch?
- 00:41 TED 2017: UK 'Iron Man' demonstrates flying suit