Southampton midfielder Oriol Romeu still putting old boss Pep Guardiola's principles into practice as Claude Puel starts to get the best out of him
When Oriol Romeu was coming through the ranks at Barcelona, he was struck by how Pep Guardiola, then the manager, would sometimes spend longer with the club's youngsters than he did with the senior players.
Guardiola was always observing, making notes, giving bits of advice to the awestruck teenagers to improve their game.
'He loved to correct things to make us better,' said the Southampton midfielder. Guardiola advised him about looking for the long game. 'We all learned a lot from him.'
Two significant knee injuries — one in Spain, the other at Chelsea — have meant that Romeu is only... read more
- 00:01 The Guardian view on management consultants: the trick is confidence
- 00:01 Article 50 day won't be cut-off date for EU migrants, No 10 suggests
- 00:01 Sir Gerald Kaufman obituary
- 00:01 Peter Hain: hard Brexit puts Northern Ireland peace process at risk
- 00:01 Gerald Kaufman’s stellar PMQs moment
- 00:01 Better election results ahead for the Green party?
- 00:01 EU urged to end cooperation with Sudan after refugees whipped and...
- 00:01 Don't threaten to cut intelligence ties in Brexit talks, UK warned
- 00:01 BBC orders investigation into claims of aggressive TV licence...
- 00:01 Tributes paid to 'iconic' Labour MP Sir Gerald Kaufman
- 00:01 DUP braced to lose seats in Northern Ireland assembly elections
- 00:01 Chairman of housing association behind 'substandard' development...
- 00:01 Deported woman's family say Amber Rudd lacks compassion
- 00:01 May adviser regrets saying benefits should only go to 'really...
- 00:01 NHS data loss: 500 patients may have suffered serious harm
- 00:01 John Major attacks government over approach to Brexit
- 00:01 Clive Lewis denies registering websites for Labour leadership bid
- 23:59 George Thomason obituary
- 23:59 PPE is a degree that looks forward, not back
- 23:59 10 things teachers want to say to parents, but can't
- 23:59 No grammar schools, lots of play: the secrets of Europe’s top...
- 23:59 Parents: not happy about something at school? Here’s how to complain
- 23:59 Top 10 podcasts to help you learn a language
- 23:59 What's the point of school uniform?
- 23:59 Michael Palin: geography students hold the key to the world's problems
- 23:59 Free speech on Israel under attack in universities
- 23:59 The Guardian view on vocational education: choice at 14 is not working
- 23:59 London’s pollution is so bad that it forced me to give up my dream PhD
- 23:59 We need urgent action to ensure all Scottish public buildings are safe
- 23:59 The US travel ban would be bad news for American universities