South Africa sets out planned minimum wage level
South Africa's government has proposed a national minimum wage of 3,500 rand ($242; £199) a month.
About 47% of working South Africans earn less than the wage, which is being introduced to combat income poverty and inequality.
But critics say it could put more people out of work as employers might not be able to afford the higher wages.
The government says it will consult on the issue, but hopes to introduce a minimum wage within two years.
Announcing the rate, which was proposed by a panel of advisers, the country's deputy president Cyril Ramaphosa said: "We are now a step closer to... read more
- 17:34 Vile conditions at London pizza place with dead mice on kitchen floor
- 17:34 Sunderland chief gives big update on future of club: Takeover is...
- 17:34 Drugs worth £200,000 seized in Kettering
- 17:32 Frank Skinner: 'Johnny Cash started me on the rocky road to...
- 17:32 Five teenagers arrested after man attacked in Kirkby
- 17:32 Supreme court upholds teenager's 241-year prison term
- 17:31 Lincolnshire Police reveals upsurge in assualts on officers
- 17:30 You will get banned from Facebook for posting about these six...
- 17:29 Police confirm death of a woman in west Cumbria
- 17:27 Lesley Laird launches bid to be Scottish Labour deputy leader
- 17:26 ‘Disrespectful’...rubbish fly-tipped across graves in Wakefield...
- 17:26 Avicii warned management he 'was going to die' amid pressure to do...
- 17:26 Metro Bank founder Vernon Hill sees off shareholder revolt
- 17:25 Burton Albion showed Derby County performance wasn't a one-off -...
- 17:25 Two holiday venues fly the flag for Northumberland
- 17:25 This was the last runner to finish the London Marathon this year
- 17:23 Wasps: Kyle Eastmond could face Northampton Saints, Joe Simpson may...
- 17:21 Ilkeston engineering firm celebrate multi-million pound gas contract
- 17:20 Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp backed to complete goalkeeper deal
- 17:18 Stollers £3m clearance marks the final stage of refurb
- 17:18 Residents in Dalton bemoan 'horrendous' parking situation
- 17:18 'Beyond belief': Brexit app for EU nationals won't work on iPhones
- 17:18 L'Enclume food award win is fantastic news for Cartmel, says...
- 17:18 Pin-prick test will determine baby's gender just EIGHT WEEKS into...
- 17:18 Hartlepool United fans fall short in goal to win cash on ITV gameshow
- 17:16 Derby County vs Cardiff City - what the result will mean for Aston...
- 17:16 This is what Aston Villa players think of the new kit deal
- 17:16 Thousands of faulty wheelie bins across Solihull are splitting apart
- 17:16 Spaghetti Junction breakdown causes chaos for commuters
- 17:16 YouTube prankster Jake Paul could be sued for £2.5 million by...