South Africa's Tutu wants 'the option of an assisted death'
Retired South African cleric and anti-apartheid campaigner Archbishop Desmond Tutu said in a published commentary that when his time comes, he would "want the option of an assisted death".
The 85-year-old Nobel Peace Prize winner, who has been living with prostate cancer for nearly 20 years, reiterated his support for assisted dying in an opinion piece published on the Washington Post on his 85th birthday.
Tutu came out in support of assisted dying in 2014 but was more ambiguous about whether he personally wanted that option.
"I believe that terminally ill people should be... read more
- 14:54 ‘YOU’RE SCANDALOUS’ French MP in astonishing UK attack over...
- 14:54 Sexually assaulted in VR: Female gamer feels 'violated' after being...
- 14:54 Meningitis: 10 warning signs students should look out
- 14:53 The Star reveals mystery locations of new Sheffield street art
- 14:53 Scottish Premiership supersub revealed - which player has made the...
- 14:53 New post office puts Heron at the heart of South Yorkshire community
- 14:53 Man charged with alleged Sheffield burglary
- 14:52 Upmarket steakhouse set to open this week at Northampton's former...
- 14:52 City shamed as bigamy blackspot - after love rat dumped sick wife...
- 14:52 Cookery duo set to open Northampton pub after quarter of a million...
- 14:51 ‘Irritated’ dad denies murder
- 14:51 Liverpool, Tottenham, Manchester United and Manchester City go...
- 14:51 Meningitis: 10 warning signs students should look out
- 14:50 For British bank start-up, Brexit has silver lining - more loans
- 14:50 EU proposes common tax rules to close avoidance loopholes
- 14:50 Michael Gove admits Tory leadership 'mistakes'
- 14:50 Pioneering treatment offers new hope for Sunderland schoolboy Pascal
- 14:50 Euro 2016 and Premier League hat-tricks - What has happened to some...
- 14:49 Two Muslim preachers arrested at Ibizan party haven accused of...
- 14:49 MIGRANT CRISIS: Death toll in Mediterranean surpasses 3,700 this year
- 14:48 TV and film stuntman breaks world record
- 14:48 A day for democracy
- 14:48 Artist’s work helps Lancashire hospice
- 14:47 CCTV catches thieves taking beer from garage
- 14:47 Handbag snatched from car as woman waited at traffic lights
- 14:47 More love than hate? Marmite sales rocket after ‘Brexit’ row
- 14:46 Drunk brandished knife after row in pub
- 14:46 Nissan-Renault says open to partnerships to develop new car...
- 14:46 TV and film stuntman breaks world record
- 14:46 BlackBerry launches its third Android-based phone