Some people ‘genetically programmed’ to crave fatty foods over sugary snacks
0 Have your say You really are what you eat, according to scientists, who have discovered the gene that determines if you like chicken korma or Eton mess.
One in 100 people have a defect in the MC4R gene which makes them love fatty foods and shun sugar, a new Cambridge University study has revealed.
These people are also more likely to get fat, according to the study.
Most people find both high-fat and high-sugar foods enticing, but those who carry variants in gene MC4R are overly attracted to high fat foods, the study found.
The report is one of the first to show a direct link between food... read more
- 08:09 Live: Breaking news and travel from Coventry and Warwickshire on...
- 08:09 The morning news headlines: Theresa May faces questioning by MPs...
- 08:09 ‘Paedophile hunter’ was a child abuser himself
- 08:09 Country & Coast: Innocent awakenings offer the first signs of spring
- 08:09 Anger at hotel shutdown
- 08:09 Juventus to offer Arsenal audacious Miralem Pjanic swap deal for...
- 08:08 World healthcare expert applauds 'pioneering' scheme in Millom
- 08:08 Century-old Lucy still loving life down on the farm in Barrow
- 08:08 Two separate bids made to run Dalton zoo
- 08:08 Barrow man ordered to reduce alcohol intake after drunkenly kicking...
- 08:08 Warnings made of pothole 'tipping point' as funding allocation for...
- 08:08 Friends of the X112 horrified after vital funds are sent back to...
- 08:08 Ulverston Post Office closure came "out of the blue" according to...
- 08:08 EXCLUSIVE: Barrow firefighters say 'There has never been a greater...
- 08:08 Thousands missing out on 'grandparents' credit'
- 08:07 A big thank you from National Memorial Arboretum in Alrewas for...
- 08:07 New occupant for Edinburgh’s BioQuarter life sciences hub
- 08:06 Why aren’t we buying tampons anymore?
- 08:06 Hurrah for Gin! These gin drawings perfectly capture the struggles...
- 08:06 Chinese New Year: Find out which animal you are and what that means
- 08:06 RPT-Brexit drives push for bigger Frankfurt role in exchange merger
- 08:05 Cloudy and mainly dry with light winds
- 08:05 Preston’s Harris in danger of ‘mutilation’ says society
- 08:04 Who are the runners and riders for the top job at Hartlepool United?
- 08:04 Colliery clean-up recruits the community for 10-week project
- 08:04 Police appeal after Hartlepool cyclist injured in hit and run
- 08:04 Nelson and Colne College launch new University Centre
- 08:04 Medication stolen from vehicle
- 08:04 Hartlepool show patience in hunt to find new manager
- 08:04 Sunderland boss hoping for more than one signing