Solution to bed-blocking: open more in community, not less
FOURTEEN beds at Wigton hospital are standing empty while 40 beds at the Cumberland Infirmary are being blocked every week by those with nowhere to go.
Calls were last night made for bosses to reopen those mothballed beds urgently – and scraps plans to close even more of the town’s community hospital beds.
Dozens of people turned out to a public meeting in Silloth, which is served by Wigton hospital, at the first of 16 events organised by the Government’s Success Regime.
It follows the publication of controversial options to overhaul the local NHS, including closing community hospital beds,... read more
- 01:34 How to impeach a president
- 01:28 German SPD chief Gabriel makes way for Schulz to run against Merkel
- 01:19 Government loses Supreme Court Brexit battle
- 01:16 Blackpool defendant told court he is dying
- 01:15 Tomorrow's Cities: What can be done to improve air quality?
- 01:12 Exclusive: Keysight Technologies explores acquisition of Ixia: sources
- 01:12 Seagate forecasts third-quarter revenue above estimates
- 01:12 U.S. agency calls for safer lithium-ion batteries after Samsung fires
- 01:05 Is Sean Spicer's chewing gum habit dangerous? Press secretary...
- 01:04 Asia stocks set to rise on U.S. cues; dollar bounces
- 01:00 Partick Thistle sign Martin Keown's son Niall on loan from Reading...
- 01:00 Southampton increase offer to £14m for Napoli striker Manolo...
- 01:00 Updated: Bird flu confirmed at farm in Lancashire, 10,000 pheasants...
- 00:57 Stratford Town suffer late heartbreak against St Ives
- 00:55 Former Ferrari chief Ross Brawn calls for simpler Formula One...
- 00:55 Diego Costa joins table-toppers for team dinner as Chelsea bond...
- 00:54 Knights of Malta head resigns after dispute with Vatican -...
- 00:50 PepsiCo using Super Bowl to launch new premium water brand
- 00:49 Campaign to clean up landmark Leeds city centre bridge
- 00:48 Arsenal squad enjoy evening out following heroics against...
- 00:45 Chelsea legend sends stern warning to Diego Costa: He must not...
- 00:45 Notts County owner: This is what saw John Sheridan lose his job
- 00:45 EastEnders spoilers: Mick Carter is enraged with Aunt Babe again as...
- 00:43 Personality linked to 'differences in brain structure'
- 00:42 Proof that women ARE better multi-taskers: Scientists discover...
- 00:42 Are mushrooms the anti-Alzheimer's superfood? Scientists think so!
- 00:40 Minister condemns vandalism at Argentine war cemetery on...
- 00:40 Distrust of politicians helped fuel Brexit vote, report finds
- 00:40 Take up tai chi or carry your shopping to reduce falls, older...
- 00:40 Stomach bug epidemic blamed on overuse of antibiotics