Solution to bed-blocking: open more in community, not less
FOURTEEN beds at Wigton hospital are standing empty while 40 beds at the Cumberland Infirmary are being blocked every week by those with nowhere to go.
Calls were last night made for bosses to reopen those mothballed beds urgently – and scraps plans to close even more of the town’s community hospital beds.
Dozens of people turned out to a public meeting in Silloth, which is served by Wigton hospital, at the first of 16 events organised by the Government’s Success Regime.
It follows the publication of controversial options to overhaul the local NHS, including closing community hospital beds,... read more
- 15:53 REVEALED: How Conor McGregor REALLY feels about being stripped of...
- 15:52 More than 400 take part in Santa fun run around Belvoir Castle for...
- 15:50 Berwick MP backs crackdown on dangerous driving
- 15:50 EU Commission in close contact with Italy over banks - Dombrovskis
- 15:49 Peter Vaughan, Game of Thrones and Porridge actor, dies aged 93
- 15:48 Roger Federer and Serena Williams both delay injury comebacks...
- 15:48 How many homes and businesses were flooded in your area?
- 15:48 Antonio Conte pulls off unreal ball control in Chelsea training
- 15:47 GALLERY: Cracker of a day of fun in Spilsby
- 15:46 Louth councillors plant special tree for Queen’s 90th birthday year
- 15:44 UFC president Dana White says Conor McGregor’s super fight with...
- 15:44 Meet the therapy pig hamming it up at San Francisco...
- 15:43 Exclusive: Emissions crackdown exposes Renault-Nissan engine trouble
- 15:43 This Arsenal star has been immense… he must not play against Basel...
- 15:43 Mauricio Pochettino: This is why Tottenham will take CSKA Moscow...
- 15:42 Syrian army seizes several areas of Aleppo from rebels - state...
- 15:42 Can we reunite Dilara with the British ginger stallion she met on a...
- 15:42 Singapore tops latest PISA education survey
- 15:41 Christmas spirit alive and well at Garibaldi’s first lights switch-on
- 15:41 WATCH: Female driver films video proving women can parallel park
- 15:41 Family livid as inquest finds Notts dad killed by drink and drugs
- 15:40 Woodhall Spa support for hospice
- 15:40 Health bosses outline plans for Lincolnshire hospitals in bid to...
- 15:39 Specialist dementia care village in Northampton will offer...
- 15:39 Halifax assault: Do you recognise man in CCTV image?
- 15:39 Chelsea preparing transfer offer for Karamoko Dembele
- 15:38 GoDaddy to buy Host Europe for $1.82 billion
- 15:38 Twins who contracted viral meningitis while in the womb make a full...
- 15:38 U.S. Supreme Court rules for Samsung in smartphone fight with Apple
- 15:38 The hidden sign which could make your £5 note worth £20k