Social club marks 80 years of community
Congratulations go to Birstall Social Club, which is celebrating its 80th anniversary.
I understand from reader Ian Morris that in the late 19th century and early 20th century, a country home, called Lawn House, stood where the club is now situated.
Lawn House was owned by Francis Henry Paget, who was a Justice of the Peace for Leicestershire and a Lieutenant in Prince Albert's own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry.
Lawn House was demolished in 1936, and in the same year, the building that is now the club was built. Around the same time, a cinema was built across the road, where the Co-op... read more
- 11:28 Japanese flu symptoms and how is it different to Australian flu?
- 09:34 Theatre Review Laughing at, not with, the working class
- 09:34 Theatre Review Room for development
- 09:34 Book Review Picture This: A book of miracles
- 09:34 Theatre Review Tragicomic dilemmas of a world where the drugs don't...
- 11:28 Penwortham man Nick Sagar made such a sound career choice
- 09:34 Jazz Review Rare music treat from Tippett trio
- 11:28 The Walking Dead season 8: Lauren Cohan reveals Maggie’s upcoming...
- 09:34 Theatre Review Sure-footed sex and violence
- 09:34 Music Album reviews with Ian Sinclair
- 09:34 Photography Authentic ambrosia
- 09:34 Interview ‘He spoke to what was needed to create an equal society’
- 11:27 Mel C from the Spice Girls heading to Uttoxeter Racecourse for DJ...
- 09:34 Poetry On Shitholes
- 09:34 Film Of The Week Urgent message in The Post
- 09:34 Reviews Film round-up: January 18
- 09:34 Previews Arts Ahead: January 18-25
- 09:34 Sculpture Parliament Square Thatcher statue delayed over vandalism...
- 11:26 Arsenal make Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang breakthrough: Henrikh...
- 11:26 Chelsea eye shock loan move for Crystal Palace forward Christian...
- 11:26 Kanye West net worth, age and how his wealth compares to...
- 11:26 Australian Open: Roger Federer says players will rally for more...
- 11:26 Brendan Cole opens up about ‘lovely chemistry’ with dancing partner...
- 11:26 Charity which started life giving school uniforms to a family in...
- 11:25 Bodelwyddan's Marble Church to shut for several weeks
- 11:25 Firefighters rescue pair from Harrogate blaze
- 11:25 Harrogate man in hilarious BBC TV comedy show
- 11:23 Hucknall plumber is one of UK’s best apprentices -- at age of 37
- 11:23 'Urban explorer' who climbed Humber Bridge fined
- 11:23 FIVE talking points ahead of Hartlepool United’s clash with Wrexham