'So tragic' - shock after Northumbria University 'fresher' student dies from meningitis
People have spoken of their shock after a 19-year-old girl died from an aggressive form of meningitis just days after starting university.
Northumbria University staff say they are “shocked and saddened” after the ‘fresher’ student passed away from meningococcal meningitis (group W), one of the most deadly strains of the disease, on September 11.
Public Health England released details of her death last night.
The university has reassured staff and students that the risk of infection spreading is very low, but people who had been in close contact with the teenager have been offered... read more
- 06:20 Bot out, Ukip tells Putin, as pro-Russia tweeters attack Paul Nuttall
- 06:20 Court ruling due on challenge to minimum income...
- 06:20 Shrewsbury boss fined £3,500 over danger hoverboards
- 06:19 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 06:18 'The EU will END' Terrified European chief fears Marine Le Pen...
- 06:15 Former Manchester United FC star criticises FOUR current players
- 06:15 Lancashire Police failing stress test
- 06:12 Thousands of tiny plastic 'nurdles' washed up on Hartlepool beach
- 06:12 Top sponsors for Sunderland students event
- 06:12 Camera helps catch Wearside flytipper
- 06:12 Sunderland paedophile snared by Dark Justice
- 06:11 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 06:11 Anthony Martial: Why my form was better under Louis van Gaal than...
- 06:10 Plans go in for Sikh temple in Kettering
- 06:10 Independent coffee chain set for expansion with new branches in...
- 06:10 Corby teacher named in top 10 in the world
- 06:10 Teen’s death leaves village in shock
- 06:10 Section of A61 in Chesterfield shut for hours due to 'incident'
- 06:08 WEATHER WARNING: Winds of up to 60mph to batter North West
- 06:08 Vandals cause bus disruption across city
- 06:08 Cycle track arrest of most wanted Morecambe man
- 06:08 Philippine minister doubtful of China row resolution 'during our...
- 06:07 Nurse who slept on duty is suspended
- 06:08 German Social Democrats still hard on heels of Merkel's...
- 06:07 Lancashire Police failing stress test
- 06:07 Woman threatened to 'petrol bomb' social services department in...
- 06:07 Blackpool: From the courts 22-02-17
- 06:04 Parliament Matters: Gisela Stuart, Edgbaston
- 06:04 Parliament Matters: Richard Burden, Northfield
- 06:04 Parliament Matters: Liam Byrne, Hodge Hill