So THAT's what happens when they knock you out for surgery: An anaesthetist reveals what goes on beyond the operating theatre doors
Millions of operations are performed on the NHS every year, but most of us give little thought to the complex medicine that allows us to be ‘put to sleep’. In a fascinating new memoir, an anaesthetist reveals what goes on beyond the operating theatre doors . . .
As an anaesthetist, my job is to erase your consciousness, eliminate pain and immobilise your body. I alter your heart rate, blood pressure and breathing.
I have administered anaesthesia more than 30,000 times during my 30-year career, treating all ages from newborns to centenarians — and, once, a desperately ill gorilla. The... read more
- 07:35 WEEKEND WEB: Spalding Guardian letters
- 07:35 Will your child lose free school meals?
- 07:34 Cristiano Ronaldo knows Paul Pogba is 'willing to lower salary' to...
- 07:27 Army minister accuses Corbyn of siding with Russia against Nato
- 07:24 Champions League winner Luis Enrique stalls on Chelsea as he eyes...
- 07:24 Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho branded CLUMSY and TASTELESS...
- 07:21 Homeless man's joy at getting YMCA flat after ten years of sleeping...
- 07:16 6 unusual honeymoon destinations – from joining the cowboys to...
- 07:15 Real Madrid news: Neymar drops biggest hint yet that he wants to...
- 07:15 Juan Martin del Potro piles pressure on Roger Federer with latest...
- 07:14 George Christensen attacks own government over abortion services...
- 07:12 Lucas Industries company archives go online
- 07:06 The student experience — then and now
- 07:05 Space stations: our future among the stars
- 06:54 Man Utd player REVOLT: Match of the Day pundits predict horrific...
- 06:54 F1 news: Lewis Hamilton on verge of record-breaking £40m Mercedes...
- 06:51 McDonald’s Monopoly to start next week
- 06:51 Primark recalls cushions that pose potential fire risk
- 06:51 BBC want ex-couples to take part in exciting new show
- 06:48 Man who saved Hearts writes play on ‘insanity of Scottish football’
- 06:46 Are we prepared for the looming epidemic threat?
- 06:45 McDonald’s Monopoly to start next week
- 06:45 Primark recalls cushions that pose potential fire risk
- 06:45 BBC want ex-couples to take part in exciting new show
- 06:43 McDonald’s Monopoly to start next week
- 06:43 Primark recalls cushions that pose potential fire risk
- 06:43 BBC want ex-couples to take part in exciting new show
- 06:42 Free events in Louth and Horncastle area this Easter
- 06:38 India SLAMS Pakistan for ‘BLOCKING access to websites’ amid rising...
- 06:37 Row over refund from energy company which took over from bust supplier