So THAT'S how they became man's best friend: Genes linked to autism in humans may influence dog sociability
Their unwavering loyalty to their owners and obedient nature has led to dogs becoming known as man's best friend.
Now new research has revealed five key genes that has enabled dogs to develop such close social ties to humans.
The findings help to reveal the genetic changes that domestication has wrought in the canine genome over the past few thousand years.
But surprisingly, researchers from Linköping University in Sweden also found four of the genes are related to social disorders, such as autism, in humans.
THE SOCIABILITY GENES The DNA of each dog was studied using a method called... read more
- 09:11 Metal created by Hartlepool firm to go on display in Great...
- 09:10 Yotam Ottolenghi’s courgette recipes
- 09:10 Man fighting for life after assault following England game
- 09:09 See inside the hidden parts of the most famous house in Birmingham
- 09:09 Commonwealth Games is 'a once-in-a-generation opportunity' for...
- 09:09 Supporters of Amber’s Law to take on extreme challenge as they help...
- 09:09 Fans react to possibility of Sunderland AFC taking out loan
- 09:09 Sunderland parents warned about online game as teen death probe...
- 09:09 Going underground: Surrealist poster fetches tidy sum
- 09:08 Price slash at meeting rooms can help Harborough businesses take off
- 09:07 'You can't judge a generation's taste': making Now That’s What I...
- 09:07 Lincolnshire County Council wants to hear about your childcare
- 09:07 Boris Johnson likens Brexit to ‘bog roll’ and says Brits don’t want...
- 09:07 Thousands of anti-Brexit protesters to march on Westminster to...
- 09:06 Belgium team news: Predicted line up vs Tunisia – Lukaku and Hazard...
- 09:06 Free festival of cycling returning for second year in Lichfield
- 09:05 Lincolnshire County Council wants to hear about your childcare
- 09:04 Kettering school pupils help clear the air at national competition
- 09:03 Mapping England's World Cup squad: Northern players dominate the 23
- 09:02 The Amputee World Cup – and other antidotes to the bloated Fifa-fest
- 08:59 Which House of Fraser stores will close? Full list of shop closures
- 08:59 Netflix’s head of communications sacked after using ‘N-word’ twice...
- 08:56 Tyre fire started at abandoned Wigan mill
- 08:55 Family's plea after Portugal hotel pool drowning
- 08:53 Revealed: How Doncaster's new University Technical College could look
- 08:51 Revealed: How Doncaster's new University Technical College could look
- 08:51 West Brom and Leeds target's price tag revealed as Baggies forward...
- 08:51 Armed police chase suspects through Birmingham after ram raid in...
- 08:50 Revealed: How Doncaster's new University Technical College could look
- 08:48 Arsenal transfer news: Torreira deal imminent, Emery budget problem...