SNP must use Brexit to ‘force’ living wage on firms - Unite boss
The head of Scotland’s biggest trade union has called on Nicola Sturgeon to use Brexit talks as an opportunity to “force” more Scots firms to pay workers a living wage.
Pat Rafferty, Scottish general secretary of Unite, says the Scottish Government has previously claimed EU rules stood in the way of a fair pay drive. Ministers could not demand that firms pay a living wage if they want lucrative Government contracts as it would breach EU procurement directives, it was claimed.
Union leaders now believe that the Brexit vote presents an opportunity to push for a better deal for workers.
“More... read more
- 02:23 William Wilberforce brought back to life in virtual reality
- 02:20 YP Comment: Why Britain will always stand firm against terror –...
- 02:14 Thousands expected at Martin McGuinness's funeral in Londonderry
- 02:14 Detectives probe Westminster knifeman's terror rampage that left...
- 02:14 Post-Brexit vote fall in EU nationals working in UK 'driven...
- 02:14 Crime gangs exploiting corruption at European borders to smuggle...
- 02:14 Majority of women feel embarrassed breastfeeding in front of...
- 02:14 Balloon and sky lantern bans urged on councils by conservation group
- 02:04 Trump aide 'tried to hide' Russian payment
- 01:54 Drop in teacher training recruits revealed
- 01:50 Arsenal hero: Mesut Ozil should copy this Tottenham star
- 01:49 Trump sends holiday greetings to Iranians, does not mention travel ban
- 01:40 MPs honour the memory of PC Keith Palmer
- 01:37 Euro zone banks under scrutiny but none in danger watchdog says
- 01:37 Nicola Sturgeon says new independence referendum now “highly likely”
- 01:29 Kyle Edmund joins Dan Evans, Heather Watson and Aljaz Bedene as he...
- 01:27 Why is Spain in the middle of a spat between China and Taiwan?
- 01:25 Kabbage looks to raise money for acquisitions: sources
- 01:21 Is it safe to drink Fanta and Sprite in Nigeria?
- 01:19 England flanker Chris Robshaw returns for Harlequins as he aims to...
- 01:16 Warning over segregation in England's schools
- 01:16 Sinn Féin oppose any extension to Stormont talks deadline
- 01:16 Bill Clinton to attend Martin McGuinness' funeral
- 01:11 Star Wars updates: This is the CRAZIEST alternate Rogue One ending yet
- 01:09 Coronation Street spoilers: Phelan’s next victim? The killer...
- 01:09 Viewpoint: Life in the land of 'candle princesses'
- 01:09 Spain's female bodyguards who protect abused women
- 01:07 JAPAN'S NIKKEI SHARE AVERAGE FALLS TO 1-1/2 MONTH LOWS
- 01:06 我的家乡温岭曾经连红绿灯都没有，而如今已有140万人口
- 01:06 Oil bounces off November lows, but bloated U.S. stockpiles pressure...