SNP must use Brexit to ‘force’ living wage on firms - Unite boss
The head of Scotland’s biggest trade union has called on Nicola Sturgeon to use Brexit talks as an opportunity to “force” more Scots firms to pay workers a living wage.
Pat Rafferty, Scottish general secretary of Unite, says the Scottish Government has previously claimed EU rules stood in the way of a fair pay drive. Ministers could not demand that firms pay a living wage if they want lucrative Government contracts as it would breach EU procurement directives, it was claimed.
Union leaders now believe that the Brexit vote presents an opportunity to push for a better deal for workers.
“More... read more
- 08:59 Households watching pirate TV can expect a scary letter through the...
- 08:59 Manchester United showed ‘lack of class’ against Liverpool, says...
- 08:59 Man who killed three members of Sheffield family appeals against...
- 08:59 UPDATE: Man arrested on suspicion of murder in connection with...
- 08:59 How to stop all nuisance calls
- 08:58 Russia expects dialogue with Trump on nuclear weapons - Lavrov
- 08:58 Pound recovers ahead of May Brexit speech
- 08:58 How to order a martini: 7 gin martini types you need to know
- 08:58 Flamingo Land zoo column with Lindsay Taylor
- 08:57 Busker on board Leeds buses to shine a light on mental health
- 08:57 Karen Gillan on Tupperware Party, Inverness and Avengers
- 08:56 Snapped: West Ham outcast dons new club's kit after completing...
- 08:55 School remains closed over building's safety fears
- 08:54 Give rugby club a try and help secure its future
- 08:53 Pat Nevin makes huge claim about Chelsea striker Diego Costa
- 08:53 Appeal after crashed car is found abandoned on Amounderness Way
- 08:53 Robinson steps down as Hartlepool Rovers coach, Benson takes charge
- 08:52 Greggs sales boosted by demand for healthier snacks
- 08:52 Revealed: Rick Astley & more in Harrogate Theatre's new season
- 08:51 Arnfield verus Hall re-match is on
- 08:51 Club confirms talks over Chelsea deal: This would be huge
- 08:51 Greg’s yellow card collection is costly
- 08:51 Fran calls time on career
- 08:51 Brig boss wields the axe as striker Ben departs
- 08:49 Council tax to rise in Calderdale - but services will be cut
- 08:49 Louis van Gaal opens up about 'difficult' six months at Manchester...
- 08:48 Revealed: Rick Astley & more in Harrogate Theatre's new season
- 08:48 Breaking news: Live updates for Derby and Derbyshire
- 08:48 Rail death halts trains between Bradford and Ilkley
- 08:48 Surge in littering fines as Northampton Borough Council cracks down...