Smokers will have to pay £900 for dropping fag ends on street
Two smokers dropped cigarette ends on city streets and were each handed bills of £906.
The penalties racked up because they failed to attend the hearing at Nottingham Magistrates' Court.
After evidence was given by the City Council, they were found guilty in their absence. Neither wrote to the court.
Because the pair failed to provide details of their finances, the three JPs followed government guidelines and assumed they earn the national average wage of £440 a week.
That meant the fine worked out at £660, a total of one and a half weeks' pay. On top of that, the magistrates imposed a... read more
- 00:12 Brexit: French financial regulator wooing London banks
- 00:11 Tamil Nadu faces political vacuum after Jayalalitha's death
- 00:11 Why has this Nobel winner been ignored for 30 years?
- 00:10 Hundreds of police accused of sexual exploitation
- 00:08 Australian regulator will not block ChemChina's Syngenta bid
- 00:08 UK housing, hiring stay resilient despite Brexit vote - surveys
- 00:06 ‘It is absolutely TERRIBLE’ rants Leicester City fan after 5-0...
- 00:06 Kettering parents jailed for 'sickening' baby abuse
- 00:06 Girl, 8, injured in Edinburgh 'stabbing'
- 00:05 Junk food advertising ban aims to tackle childhood obesity
- 00:02 Baby boomers 'should work for longer to stay healthy'
- 00:02 Junk food ads targeting children banned in non-broadcast media
- 00:02 Babies missing out on key checks after fall in health visitor numbers
- 00:02 Slaven Bilic confident he can turn things around at West Ham after...
- 23:58 Religious leaders push for Muslim alternative to Peppa Pig
- 23:56 Arsenal should not sign Julian Draxler, says Lothar Matthaus
- 23:53 Rio Ferdinand names Arsenal and Spurs men as best Premier...
- 23:47 Britain softens its Brexit stance—just as the EU hardens its own
- 23:40 Exclusive - Teva investigating allegations by tipster of bribery in...
- 23:40 Asia shares hit one-month peak, bonds bet on ECB support
- 23:39 Dozens killed in west Iraq air strike, MPs and medics say
- 23:35 Wall Street: Dow Jones and S&P 500 hit fresh records
- 23:34 Zinedine Zidane wants to avoid old club Juventus... but Real Madrid...
- 23:32 Ties between Russia and the Taliban worry Afghan, U.S. officials
- 23:25 Ohio legislators pass restrictive abortion bill, citing Trump victory
- 23:24 Arsenal fans lose the plot as Alexis Sanchez is linked with Chelsea
- 23:22 'Liverpool have a great chance of winning the Premier League...
- 23:16 Harry Kane targets Europa League success after Tottenham finally...
- 23:14 ECB to extend asset buys, may debate signal about when it will end
- 23:13 West Ham target PSG ace Jese Rodriguez in January