Smokers fined £900 for dropping fag ends on street
Two smokers dropped cigarette ends on city streets and were each handed bills of £906.
The penalties racked up because they failed to attend the hearing at Nottingham Magistrates' Court.
After evidence was given by the City Council, they were found guilty in their absence. Neither wrote to the court.
Because the pair failed to provide details of their finances, the three JPs followed government guidelines and assumed they earn the national average wage of £440 a week.
That meant the fine worked out at £660, a total of one and a half weeks' pay. On top of that, the magistrates imposed a... read more
- 12:31 Barcelona offer Real Madrid star Isco £17.2m to run down his deal...
- 12:31 Ross Barkley ready to move to London amid Chelsea and Arsenal...
- 12:30 Exiled former Russian lawmaker shot dead in Kiev - police
- 12:30 French national kidnapped in Chad, say military and security sources
- 12:30 Fierce backlash over closure of golfing facilities
- 12:30 Primark recalls kids’ clothing over choking fears
- 12:30 VIDEO: Work begins on Mareham le Fen’s new village hall
- 12:30 Aldi candles selling for big money on eBay after selling out...
- 12:30 Five players in the Scottish Championship who are destined for...
- 12:29 Online vigilante snared Carlisle man who tried to groom 'girl'
- 12:29 Mother's Day 2017: 14 fab supermarket bouquets to suit all budgets
- 12:28 'A single angry man will not change UK,' says Lincolnshire MP
- 12:28 MP describes Prime Minister 'bundled away' in terror alert
- 12:28 Aid convoys get through to districts of Mosul freed from Islamic State
- 12:28 'It's terrible' - ex-Echo reporter speaks of shock after Parliament...
- 12:28 Future of Lincoln shop at risk as Brantano enters administration
- 12:28 Work to improve two Kenilworth parks set to start soon
- 12:28 TLC are coming to the UK for the very first time and this is not...
- 12:27 MP who served with murdered Pc Keith Palmer gives emotional speech...
- 12:27 Isis claims responsibility for London terror attack
- 12:27 'I'm not a hero' - brave Gateshead boxing coach who battled to save...
- 12:27 ‘Our pupils and our staff are fantastic day in and day out’
- 12:26 Raided bank could become new shops
- 12:26 Injuries prove costly as Moor slip to first defeat of season at...
- 12:26 Fit-again defender throws his hat in Pools’ ring for Blackpool trip
- 12:25 Police seize £68 million worth of cocaine branded with Lionel...
- 12:25 Liverpool star Georginio Wijnaldum threw up after clashing heads in...
- 12:25 Man accused of attempted murder after woman stabbed in park does...
- 12:24 COMPETITION Win one of three £80 meals at PizzaExpress
- 12:24 Exclusive - Liberty House mulls stake in troubled Italian steel...