Smokers are nearly 50% more likely to need spinal surgery to relieve excruciating BACK PAIN
Smoking increases the risk of lower back pain that needs to be fixed by spinal surgery, a Swedish study suggests.
Researchers focused on a common cause of lower back pain known as lumbar spinal stenosis, which occurs when the spinal canal narrows, putting pressure on the spinal cord and nerves.
The condition often develops as people age, but nicotine's constriction of blood flow and promotion of inflammation are believed to contribute to the process, the study authors write.
The participants in the Swedish study, however, were mostly in the prime of their lives, and, though they all... read more
- 09:59 Firefighters called to chimney fire in Heysham
- 09:59 Dog owners blasted for rise in Fylde beach mess
- 09:58 Seven things are going to cost you more from April 2018 - but what...
- 09:58 Croatia squad attend Miami Heat game as Luka Modric, Ivan Rakitic,...
- 09:58 Freiburg murder: Afghan jailed for life in Germany
- 09:58 Sheffield tree protester arrested for playing plastic trumpet
- 09:57 Cannibal chef feeds couple slices of their own body parts for...
- 09:57 Hargreaves Lansdown investors to get £15m back after DIY investing...
- 09:57 Police not fooled by 'plonker's' Del Boy driving licence
- 09:56 Minister forced to change his own app after data-mining complaints
- 09:56 Minister floats prospect of procurement rules changing after Brexit...
- 09:56 West Ham issue life bans to fans who invaded pitch or threw missiles
- 09:55 Chimney fire in Fleet Hargate
- 09:55 Comment: Heady days for everyone connected with Montrose
- 09:55 Dundee United new boy Anthony Ralston facing bigger challenge than...
- 09:54 Welfare cheat illegally claimed over £4k after failing to declare a...
- 09:53 Extra hours, violence, stress and working while unwell
- 09:53 Major £167k grant for cancer charity
- 09:52 Woman targeted by robber in Doncaster street
- 09:52 Crews battle fire at veterinary surgery in Layton
- 09:52 Editor's letter: How your Harrogate Advertiser website is changing
- 09:52 PLASTIC CAMPAIGN: Lancaster and Morecambe businesses ditch the plastic
- 09:51 Thousands of grandparents are missing out on this Government money
- 09:50 Retail sales grow faster than expected in February
- 09:50 Why Adama Traore could come back to haunt Aston Villa
- 09:50 Reading next manager odds: Overwhelming favourite emerges to...
- 09:50 Plans lodged for new Rokeby school building
- 09:49 Welfare cheat illegally claimed over £4k after failing to declare a...
- 09:49 58 all out: England humiliated on first day of Test in New Zealand
- 09:49 Curiosity rover: 2,000 days on Mars