Sleep deprivation 'costs UK £40bn a year'
Sleep-deprived workers are costing the UK economy £40bn a year and face a higher risk of death, says a new study.
The calculation is based on tired employees being less productive or absent from work altogether.
Research firm Rand Europe, which used data from 62,000 people, said the loss equated to 1.86% of economic growth.
The biggest impact was on health, with those sleeping less than six hours a night 13% more likely to die than those sleeping between seven and nine hours.
The study evaluated the economic cost of insufficient sleep in the UK, US, Canada, Germany and Japan.
Is more sleep... read more
- 16:58 Juan Mata could play again this season for Manchester United
- 16:58 Sunderland AFC record £33million loss
- 16:58 Green campaigner Andrew Cooper set to stand in general election
- 16:57 These are the holiday destinations most likely to cause a break-up
- 16:57 Why you should make sure you ALWAYS take this item on a plane with you
- 16:57 Why the Royal Family will NEVER use these certain words
- 16:57 Elderly man found dead in public toilet
- 16:57 Chick this out!
- 16:57 Police appeal for witnesses to Hartlepool collision
- 16:57 Warwick Boat Club edge out Stratford in thrilling final
- 16:56 Tyson Fury posts emotional letter to his fans and family as he...
- 16:55 Revealed: These are the best loved brands in Britain
- 16:55 Michelle Obama: 'I won't run for office' for my children
- 16:55 Bullring fire: Room full of jewellery 'wrecked' after blaze at...
- 16:55 America's biggest orchards could soon use ROBOT fruit pickers, but...
- 16:55 Think YOU can tell the time? Take the test to see if a new...
- 16:54 ON THIS DAY: Severe weather alert of SNOW for Derbyshire
- 16:54 Man United set to table £17m bid for Jorge Mendes' client
- 16:54 New gym class consists of nothing but sleeping
- 16:54 Retired Notts maths teacher charged with sex crimes against...
- 16:54 Lola just weeks away therapy to improve life
- 16:54 Burka-wearing burglars target house in Leicester
- 16:53 Drivers warned to expect delays as holidaymakers take to the roads
- 16:53 56 interlinked chambers of colour and light in purpose built...
- 16:51 Concern for missing teenager Rio
- 16:51 Emmerdale death confirmed as actor reveals shock at ‘door being...
- 16:50 Terror suspect arrested in Westminster named as Khalid Mohamed Omar...
- 16:50 Nintendo Switch GAMES NEWS: Nintendo celebrates another INCREDIBLE...
- 16:50 Tottenham confirm they’ll play 2017/18 home games at Wembley Stadium
- 16:49 The gym class where nodding off is the new working out