Six-week-old baby girl dies after pram plunges into lift shaft
A six-week-old baby girl has died after her pram plunged into an open lift shaft, police said.
The infant's 21-year-old mother was waiting with her for the elevator on the 23rd floor of an apartment building in Brooklyn on Thursday.
When the doors opened, the young mum pushed the stroller into the empty lift shaft.
The baby girl, identified as Areej Ali, and her mum plunged eight floors, landing on top of an elevator car positioned at the 15th floor.
Police found the tot unconscious and unresponsive after responding to a 911 call.
Handout The baby was rushed to a local hospital where she... read more
- 13:55 Matt Jansen column
- 13:55 Nelson is Lancashire's fourth luckiest town
- 13:54 ‘Risk of significant snowfall’ for eastern England predicted by Met...
- 13:54 Mother of Baby P ‘asking for a hysterectomy to increase her chance...
- 13:54 Man who kept owl heads in jam jars fined
- 13:54 10 great things to do in Derbyshire this half term
- 13:53 YP Letters: Flawed arguments over compensation of Brexit trade loss
- 13:53 YP Letters: Heathrow PR overblows value of third runway
- 13:53 Disruption for trains through Preston over Easter Bank Holiday...
- 13:53 Students generosity helps Third World families
- 13:51 Colorado Girl Scouts are now allowed to sell their cookies in front...
- 13:52 Suspected drug dealer jumped in duck pond: Police chase in...
- 13:52 Warnings over Amazon toy after young girl ends up in hospital with...
- 13:51 Clitheroe is the unluckiest place in the UK
- 13:52 Institutional sex abuse survivors urged to come forward for inquiry
- 13:51 How do tuition fees in the UK compare to other countries?
- 13:51 10 great things to do in Derbyshire this half term
- 13:51 Clitheroe KFC temporary closure as chain runs out of chicken
- 13:51 Liam Payne, 24, reveals what he and Cheryl, 34, disagree over...
- 13:51 Cash Isa savings rates begin to tick up
- 13:51 The Great North Air Ambulance a step closer to finding a new base
- 13:51 Suspected drug dealer jumped in duck pond: Police chase in...
- 13:51 Stars of the future: The 50 most promising under-20 players in...
- 13:51 YP Letters: Dreading the closure of our local banks
- 13:51 KFC closures across Wigan borough - latest
- 13:49 NBA All-Star Weekend: Slam dunks, superheroes and a shaky anthem
- 13:47 Colorado Girl Scouts are now allowed to sell their cookies in front...
- 13:46 Revealed: The best Harrogate GP surgeries according to NHS rankings
- 13:46 Pete Wishart rules himself out of SNP’s deputy leader race
- 13:45 Have you seen missing 15-year-old Hannah?