Six killed by 'thunderstorm asthma' in Melbourne
At least six people have died in the Australian city of Melbourne from a rare phenomenon called thunderstorm asthma.
Three others are in a critical condition.
Heavy rains and winds on Monday triggered thousands of pollen allergy asthma attacks in the state of Victoria.
Paramedics and hospitals were stretched to their limits as thousands phoned to report breathing problems.
Thunderstorm asthma occurs in the spring when rye grass pollen gets wet, breaks into smaller pieces and enters people's lungs, causing them breathing problems.
More than 8,000 people were treated in hospital.
About one in... read more
- 12:54 This is where speed cameras will be patrolling across Derbyshire
- 12:54 New principal soon to start at Theddlethorpe Academy
- 12:53 Brilliant moment enthusiastic Hull workmen show they've got 'rhythm'
- 12:53 Woman drowns at south Lincolnshire nature reserve after entering...
- 12:53 Mental health unit patient set fire to bed
- 12:53 Protester hangs knickers outside office of MP who blocked...
- 12:53 Concerns over stroke services mount ahead of move to Carlisle
- 12:53 Banger bid to conquer huge rally
- 12:51 World Cup group H: Poland vs. Senegal team news, kick-off time and...
- 12:51 Merseyside school sends pupils and teachers home in midst of toilet...
- 12:50 What is magnet fishing and why is it dangerous?
- 12:50 Yorkshire Bank could vanish from High Street as group agrees £1.7bn...
- 12:49 The 35 medicines no longer available on NHS prescription from this...
- 12:49 VIDEO: Banbury getting behind England with decorated houses
- 12:49 Booths free hot drink scheme to be cut
- 12:49 Britain’s Got Talent winner Lost Voice Guy announces North East...
- 12:48 A sexpert teaches us how to be really good at dirty talking
- 12:48 PICTURES: Chapel-en-le-Frith carnival proves hit with crowds
- 12:47 Gary Gold's blazing Eagles beat Scotland – US rugby has momentum
- 12:47 Two deny murdering Ozell Pemberton in Sutton Coldfield town centre
- 12:47 Mars is coming closer to Earth than it’s been in 15 years and you...
- 12:47 British Superbikes: Peter Hickman maintains top form at Snetterton
- 12:47 Man Utd star Paul Pogba’s agent Mino Raiola hits out: There is a...
- 12:47 Locks to look forward to as Hairspray bounces back to city
- 12:47 The 35 medicines no longer available on NHS prescription from this...
- 12:45 What is magnet fishing and why is it dangerous?
- 12:45 The 35 medicines no longer available on NHS prescription from this...
- 12:45 Yorkshire Bank could vanish from High Street as group agrees £1.7bn...
- 12:44 Upskirting row: MP's office targeted in 'pants protest'
- 12:44 Plans to change hospital stroke units are challenged