Sir Neville Marriner, founder of Academy of St Martin in the Fields, dies at 92
Renowned musician and founder of the Academy of St Martin in the Fields orchestra, Sir Neville Marriner, has died aged 92.
The Lincoln-born conductor, who was last year made a Companion of Honour for his services to music, died on Saturday night.
Born on April 15 1924, Sir Neville began his career as a violinist, studying at both the Royal College of Music and the Paris Conservatoire and performing with the London Symphony Orchestra.
He founded the academy with a dream to create a top-class chamber ensemble from London's finest players.
Beginning as a group of friends who gathered to... read more
- 08:06 Hurrah for Gin! These gin drawings perfectly capture the struggles...
- 08:06 Chinese New Year: Find out which animal you are and what that means
- 08:06 RPT-Brexit drives push for bigger Frankfurt role in exchange merger
- 08:05 Cloudy and mainly dry with light winds
- 08:05 Preston’s Harris in danger of ‘mutilation’ says society
- 08:04 Who are the runners and riders for the top job at Hartlepool United?
- 08:04 Colliery clean-up recruits the community for 10-week project
- 08:04 Police appeal after Hartlepool cyclist injured in hit and run
- 08:04 Nelson and Colne College launch new University Centre
- 08:04 Medication stolen from vehicle
- 08:04 Hartlepool show patience in hunt to find new manager
- 08:04 Sunderland boss hoping for more than one signing
- 08:04 Judges to decide who has priority on a bus - wheelchair users or prams
- 08:04 The morning news headlines: Theresa May faces questioning by MPs...
- 08:03 Pictures from inside Pulse nightclub reveal devastation of worst...
- 08:03 Outsourcer Mitie replaces finance chief as it issues another profit...
- 08:03 Premier Foods lowers year profit forecast after weak third quarter
- 08:01 Chelsea done deal: Player leaks news he's signed Blues contract
- 08:01 Ander Herrera turns up at Juan Mata's house before training… and...
- 08:00 Manchester United star reacts to extending Old Trafford stay
- 08:00 Drink-driver could be sent to jail after breaching suspended sentence
- 07:59 Sheffield residents urged to be vigilant after spate of burglaries
- 07:59 WARNING: South Yorkshire residents targeted in 'Migrant Helpline' scam
- 07:59 Acclaimed artist links up with school for new project
- 07:59 Grant Thorold Library set to get major improvements thanks to huge...
- 07:58 1000 holidaymakers flown home from Gambia amid unrest fears
- 07:57 Woman raped by 'Daddy' as a child only discovered monster WASN'T...
- 07:57 FBI's Top Ten Most Wanted: The nightmarish tales of America's most...
- 07:57 Drink-driver could be sent to jail after breaching suspended sentence
- 07:56 Sheffield mum wants your help to find muggers who beat son...