Sir Elton John says improved testing can beat HIV
The end of HIV "is in sight" in Western countries, but increased testing is vital, Sir Elton John has said.
The music star said early testing could save "millions of pounds each year" for the NHS, in an interview with the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme.
His charity, the Elton John Aids Foundation, has offered to finance HIV testing in Lambeth, south London.
PM Theresa May said on Thursday that the UK was "driving advances in the treatment and prevention of HIV".
About 40% of people diagnosed with HIV in 2014 were diagnosed late, according to Public Health... read more
- 07:59 Lights, camera, action! Behind the scenes of a new cinema advert...
- 07:55 Spa pool at Huddersfield Leisure Centre may never reopen
- 07:54 Join Skegness school for 40th anniversary June Day Jaunt celebration
- 07:53 Arsenal transfer news LIVE updates: Lacazette latest, Mbappe hope,...
- 07:53 Travellers pitch up on Myton Fields again
- 07:50 Henry Onyekuru gets UK visa after Arsenal agree £6.8m transfer fee...
- 07:49 Former Coventry City defender Blair Adams joins Hartlepool United
- 07:49 Video 5 of 5: Heatwave a boost for Grantham Carnival
- 07:44 RMT announces three-day strike on Northern rail network
- 07:43 Peter O'Mahony's journey from the back pitches of his local club in...
- 07:43 New Zealand vs British and Irish Lions LIVE: Follow all the action...
- 07:41 The biggest fee paid in every Premier League summer transfer window...
- 07:41 Colwyn Bay promenade development countdown as school holiday looms
- 07:41 These are the road closures for Cycle Live Nottingham this weekend
- 07:34 La Liga stadiums ranked by capacity: Which grounds are biggest?
- 07:27 Care home in Ellesmere Port is shut after family's audio recording...
- 07:26 Lindisfarne Oysters seeks new customers
- 07:26 Conservation work under way at Holy Island church
- 07:25 Visa refusal leaves mother and toddler 4,000 miles apart
- 07:25 UK's first heart pump targets 2018 clinical trial
- 07:21 Gareth Shaw: Finance fraudsters exploit gap in the rules
- 07:21 Glasgow Jazz Festival: Neil Cowley Trio | Mezcla
- 07:21 St Magnus Festival: The Story of Magnus Erlendsson | Edinbugh Quartet
- 07:21 Theatre: Death of a Salesman
- 07:21 Edinburgh International Film Festival
- 07:17 It is a bad time of year for hayfever sufferers but these tips...
- 07:15 Birdwatch: Remarkable year for spoonbills
- 07:15 Wolds Diary: A sunset worth stopping for
- 07:13 Man City and Tottenham in negotiations for Kyle Walker and more...
- 07:13 Marcus Rashford's Manchester United role models were ignored by...