Sir David has a ship - but this is the official Boaty McBoatface
More than 100,000 people voted for the giant research ship unveiled today at Cammell Laird to be crowned “Boaty McBoatface”.
The government may have decided to name the RRS Sir David Attenborough after a national treasure instead - but Boaty McBoatface will live on.
A yellow missile-like vehicle dangled over the ceremony to mark the start of the £200m ship’s construction today, as Sir David himself, 90, explained why it marked a vital moment for future research into climate change.
That vehicle has been officially crowned Boaty McBoatface in honour of the clear winner in the public vote to... read more
- 13:21 Top 10 things to see at Lichfield Festival 2017
- 13:21 YP Letters: Council out of touch with transport realities
- 13:21 YP Letters: Single market no barrier to global trade
- 13:21 Aston Martin RapidE to spearhead zero-emissions push
- 13:20 Yoga trapeze gets off to a flying start in Sheffield
- 13:19 Can you legally drive barefoot or in flip flops? This is the law
- 13:19 The cashpoint celebrates 50th birthday - here are 50 facts you need...
- 13:19 Monarchy to get big taxpayer pay rise - are they worth it?
- 13:19 Cristiano Ronaldo rethinks Real Madrid exit and Gareth Bale faces...
- 13:19 Police seek owners of items found at South Yorkshire service station
- 13:18 Airbus unveils futuristic helicopter which can fly 250mph - but is...
- 13:18 Drive My Bessa-carr and You Haxey Thing - Yorkshire water urges...
- 13:18 £6,000 donated to robot appeal to thank life-saving neurosurgeon
- 13:17 Burton Albion fans can buy their priority memberships from the club...
- 13:16 NHS staff celebrate after winning two national awards
- 13:16 Aberdeen complete Greg Stewart loan deal as Birmingham City striker...
- 13:16 Plunge in UK confidence hits Debenhams, adds to slowdown fears
- 13:16 How Man City player Aleksandar Kolarov has become the club's great...
- 13:15 UPDATE 1-Russia's Sistema faces $255 mln dividend shortfall - analysts
- 13:15 French parliament opens in test for Macron's many novice lawmakers
- 13:14 'It's Trump's hair!' Bizarre feathery critter spotted in Brazil...
- 13:14 Newly discovered and endangered: The Blue-winged Amazon parrot has...
- 13:14 Hector Bellerin next? 13 players Arsenal sold too soon
- 13:14 At least 42 Isis prisoners killed in air strike on jihadi-run jail...
- 13:14 Unbelievable moment bus ploughs into man but he walks away
- 13:13 Teacher at Sunderland school wins lifetime achievement award
- 13:13 Harry Redknapp's transfer warning to Birmingham City rivals
- 13:13 Reports: Birmingham City target to join Everton
- 13:12 Volvo's driverless cars 'confused' by kangaroos
- 13:12 Huge shoe find reveals what life was like for Romans in Northumberland