Sir Cliff Richard reveals how sex abuse claims caused 'illness' and 'depression' at emotional meeting in Parliament
Sir Cliff Richard said tonight that sex abuse claims left him ill and suffering "episodes of depression" as he led an emotional meeting in Parliament.
The star told MPs and peers the "anxiety and illness" after being wrongly accused left him feeling like he was in “a hole with no means of escape”.
The singing star gave the powerful statement as he joined BBC DJ Paul Gambaccini and the widow of ex-Home Secretary Lord Brittan to launch a campaign to change the law.
Between them the three men spent years under highly-publicised police investigations but never faced... read more
- 10:58 Isle of Wight festival line up 2017: Kaiser Chiefs, Texas, The...
- 10:57 Romania in turmoil as protesters march over plans to pardon...
- 10:57 Jaguar Land Rover fined almost £1m after worker crushed
- 10:56 Diamond faced Rolex stolen in burglary
- 10:56 UK tourists scramble to leave Gambia as troops gather
- 10:55 UPDATE 1-Russia's Sistema says plans to list agricultural business
- 10:55 SNEAK PEEK: What’s in this week’s Derbyshire Times...?
- 10:55 Manchester United to pay Antoine Griezmann £216,000-a-week - report
- 10:55 Iraqi sheep, locals, environment suffer Islamic State oil fires
- 10:55 France's Macron to field candidates in all parliamentary...
- 10:55 May start for Peppermint Junction improvement work in Holbeach
- 10:55 An Edinburgh home that’s an oasis of tranquillity
- 10:54 Great news for Malt Kiln Farm Shop fans
- 10:54 Chelsea legend Gianfranco Zola speaks out on Diego Costa crisis
- 10:53 Black cab and LandRover involved in dock road crash
- 10:52 Doncaster's Vulcan bomber to be put in storage, closed to public...
- 10:52 Overweight Nottinghamshire is becoming diabetic
- 10:52 Liverpool reject bid from Premier League rivals: This is why
- 10:51 Police operation to catch out shops serving alcohol to children in...
- 10:51 Transfer News LIVE: Arsenal done deal, Jesus joins Man City, Man...
- 10:50 Meet the mum who turned tragedy into helping other people
- 10:50 Nearly one in 10 secondary schools are under-performing - but...
- 10:48 VIDEO: Ovenden murder - residents speak of shock
- 10:48 Toddler died after being hit by mum’s car, inquest heard
- 10:48 County unveils plans for unitary authority
- 10:48 Wakefield secondary league tables in full: How does YOUR school rate?
- 10:48 Plan to demolish busy multi-storey car park
- 10:47 Did you see man assaulted in Chesterfield town centre?
- 10:47 Traffic stopped on M1 after serious collision
- 10:46 BHP Billiton and Vale set timeframe for Samarco mine claims