Silkworms get Spiderman-like strength: Insects fed with graphene produce strong fibres that conduct electricity
Legend puts the discovery of silk down to an empress thousands of years ago, who unravelled the fine threads after the cocoon of a silkworm fell in her tea.
But the luxury thread, prized for its strength, light weight and versatility, has now been given new properties, thanks to the work of Chinese scientists.
By feeding silkworms carbon nanotubes and graphene, researchers enabled the insects to spin ‘super silk’ – far tougher, more durable and conductive than normal threads – opening up new possibilities for fabrics, medical implants and more.
Scroll down for video
REINFORCED SUPER SILK ... read more
- 13:22 SO Fest performances in Horncastle relocate to Stanhope Hall due to...
- 13:21 Hillsborough: What the six defendants are accused of
- 13:20 Rare bee-eater birds seen at Nottinghamshire sand quarry
- 13:20 Mileposts project nears completion
- 13:20 Tributes paid to 17-year-old girl 'angel' Saffron Pickering
- 13:20 Appeal to find teen last seen outside Nottinghamshire supermarket
- 13:20 Get your free Herald bottle of water at Stratford River Festival
- 13:20 PICTURE: Cute little kestrel chicks are laid at Conisbrough Castle
- 13:20 Manchester United forward Anthony Martial responds to Old Trafford...
- 13:19 Three-year sentence for spice dealer given a second chance
- 13:19 Michael Bond, creator of Paddington bear, dies at 91
- 13:19 Debris causes delays
- 13:19 Fun event assault and theft probe by police
- 13:19 Ramadan event helps victims of terror outrage
- 13:19 Korean nuclear firm to be 'long-term partner' in Cumbria
- 13:19 Popular Paul to get public send-off
- 13:19 First birthday joy for miracle twin sisters
- 13:19 Manic episode 'caused killing'
- 13:19 Death of a horse whisperer at 70
- 13:19 Next stop... price hikes
- 13:19 Five ways to protect yourself from ID fraud - and 5 things to do it...
- 13:18 Korean nuclear firm to be 'long-term partner' in Cumbria
- 13:18 Reported West Brom transfer target wants to fight for place at Man...
- 13:18 Drug addict tried to swindle his own mum by pretending to be kidnapped
- 13:18 Transfer rumour: Aston Villa target to join Championship rivals
- 13:18 Delayed by the Edinburgh airport power outage? Find out if you can...
- 13:18 Former West Yorkshire chief Norman Bettison charged over alleged...
- 13:18 Chelsea Transfer News LIVE updates: Worrying Courtois update,...
- 13:18 Oldco Rangers set to discover 'big tax case' fate next week
- 13:18 Are you allowed to sunbathe naked in your own garden?