'Significant' Roman silver hoard found in Fife by teenager
A hoard of Roman silver discovered by a teenage metal detectorist in his "first proper find" is to go on display in Scotland.
David Hall, from Livingston who is now 16, found the hacksilver in Fife when he was aged 14, in 2014.
The silver was believed to have been used by Roman soldiers to bribe Picts while passing through Scotland.
David said he did not initially realise the importance of the find and is excited to see how it now looks.
The Dairsie hoard dates to the late 3rd century AD and is the earliest hacksilver from anywhere beyond the frontiers of the Roman Empire.
The... read more
- 16:55 Join us: sign up for the Guardian Teacher Network newsletter
- 16:55 Warning over phone call-barring scam
- 16:55 Boohoo is selling a goal weight sign and no one’s here for it
- 16:54 Collaboration established between Hadrian’s Wall and the Great Wall...
- 16:54 Do you recognise these men wanted for questioning following...
- 16:53 Premier League clubs on Facebook: Which sides have the most...
- 16:52 Diesel tax, benefits & five other law changes you need to know...
- 16:52 Burnley and Pendle pupils' fight hate with moving new film
- 16:52 Scottish artist gives historical portraits a modern makeover by...
- 16:52 Warning over phone call-barring scam
- 16:52 Do your bit to ditch plastic products, says one milklady
- 16:52 Fourth nor'easter in three weeks batters US east coast
- 16:52 Texas bombing suspect blows himself up
- 16:52 Boris Johnson compares Russian World Cup to Hitler's 1936 Olympics
- 16:52 Sex offender who attacked teenage girl on Sheffield bus walks free...
- 16:51 Sex offender who attacked teenage girl on Sheffield bus walks free...
- 16:51 Man sent flying into the air in wheelie stunt gone wrong
- 16:51 Warning over phone call-barring scam
- 16:51 Hunt goes on for missing Duns student
- 16:51 An appeal has been launched by the organisers of a town carnival
- 16:50 Diesel tax, benefits & five other law changes you need to know...
- 16:49 Horse Racing Tips March 22: Wolverhampton, Chelmsford, Chepstow and...
- 16:48 Rawcliffe man jailed nearly 30 years after York rape
- 16:48 Section of Hinckley Road to reopen one month after Leicester explosion
- 16:48 Sex offender who attacked teenage girl on Sheffield bus walks free...
- 16:48 Police name Batley woman who died after being hit by reversing car...
- 16:47 Lady Turner of Camden obituary
- 16:47 Liam Payne admits relationship 'struggles' with Cheryl
- 16:47 Meet the bands who are making politics personal
- 16:46 Firefighters tackle restaurant fire on Lozells Road