Sibsey's landmark windmill damaged during high winds
Sibsey Trader Mill has suffered severe damage and faces a major loss of income following the high winds on Thursday morning, The Standard has been told.
A miller at the Grade One listed landmark said that strong winds caused the fan tail to break free and spin 'so fast it disintegrated and bits have been found in fields 300 yards away'.
They said that although the mill looks okay, internally there has been serious damage.
"Tie rods have snapped as the fierce winds lifted the whole tip of the mill up at an angle, nearly tipping the six sails and the cap off the top of the 74ft brick... read more
- 14:57 Clitheroe’s boutique hotel now fully open
- 14:57 MP signs letter calling for 4G improvements in rural areas
- 14:57 Reopening of local debt charity
- 14:56 Awareness raised about 'debilitating' ME illness at 'Millions...
- 14:55 Man spared jail after beating dog with axe
- 14:55 M42 lanes closed near Birmingham Airport after lorry breaks down
- 14:54 Burnley park to host Bank Holiday family fun weekend
- 14:53 Manchester United willing to sell Anthony Martial but won’t allow...
- 14:53 St Helens remembers those killed in Manchester Arena attack
- 14:52 West Ham landing Manuel Pellegrini has the look of a managerial coup
- 14:51 Hat's the way to do it! Staff put their heads together for brain...
- 14:51 Mayor set to take control of the cops under next phase of...
- 14:51 Judges wowed by standard of acts entering Ripon's Got Talent
- 14:49 Why is there a Buckingham Palace garden party for Prince Charles’...
- 14:49 Police hunt Burnley town centre bike thief
- 14:49 Music in memory of baby son who was smiling right until the end
- 14:48 Council's cheap loan scheme will put Mansfield tenants on property...
- 14:47 Nine die as Tuticorin sterlite copper protest turns violent
- 14:46 Wife lied that baby had died to stop Army Sgt husband finding out...
- 14:46 Halfords sees clear road ahead after sales rise but sterling loss...
- 14:45 This is why former Defence Secretary Michael Portillo was filming...
- 14:45 Despite the anti-climax, a historic season for Scotland’s pro teams
- 14:44 Man who led MH370 flight search slams book claiming pilot...
- 14:44 New signed artwork by Bob Dylan goes on display at Lakes gallery
- 14:43 Focus on Gleadless Valley: What's happening?
- 14:43 Focus on Gleadless Valley: The heart of the community
- 14:43 New signed artwork by Bob Dylan goes on display at Lakes gallery
- 14:43 Focus on Gleadless Valley: What's the plan?
- 14:43 RNLI issues 'float' advice - as figures reveal number of deaths off...
- 14:42 Ken Livingstone caused distress to Jewish community in Leeds, says...