Siberian wine could be coming to a table near you
Siberia is known for its bitter, snowy winters - hardly the conditions associated with a thriving wine industry.
But a dogged group of winemakers in the foothills of the Altai Mountains have conquered the frosts to produce both red and white varieties, and hope to start selling them next year.
Vladimir Vagner, head of the Altaiskaia Loza ["Altai Vine"] wine company, is convinced the wines will prove a hit around the world.
He recruited the help of experts from France to find grapes that could weather the frosts and thrive during the area's balmy summers - which can be as hot as... read more
- 09:55 200 Degrees expansion continues - with first shop outside England
- 09:55 Woman In Black at Nottingham's Theatre Royal: Review
- 09:54 Travellers descend on Chester's Greyhound Retail Park
- 09:54 Couple lose civil partnership challenge
- 09:54 Passengers walk through JFK checkpoint without being screened - NBC
- 09:54 Theo Walcott joins exclusive Arsenal club – but he took longer to...
- 09:54 Nigeria's presidency says no cause for worry about Buhari
- 09:52 Cruise news: Woman stuck in sea for an HOUR after FALLING overboard...
- 09:51 Khan signs up for Lancashire T-20 campaign
- 09:51 Morecambe’s Mullin hailed ahead of trip to Newport
- 09:51 Man hit with hammer then pushed through Burger King window in Skegness
- 09:51 Government records £9.4bn surplus in January
- 09:51 This hair dye will adapt its colour according to your surroundings
- 09:51 Air ambulance at scene of crash involving lorry and motorbike
- 09:50 'Stubborn' swan blocks M27 at Fareham
- 09:50 This Nottinghamshire design firm is looking to boost the web...
- 09:49 Burglars steal car keys from Sandiacre home - then take Citroen...
- 09:49 UK food and drink sales hit £20bn across the world
- 09:49 Roman Abramovich secures crucial deal: Chelsea fans will love this
- 09:48 Czechs, tired of being 'Europe's garbage can', will push for better...
- 09:48 China jails former head of safety watchdog for 15 years for graft
- 09:47 Serious cause behind the smile
- 09:47 Explorer Levison Wood to entertain Chesterfield with stories of his...
- 09:46 Sutton United boss hits out at 20-stone goalie Wayne Shaw for...
- 09:45 You can skip this ad in a year: YouTube drops 30-second commercials
- 09:45 YP Comment: The best and worst of politics
- 09:45 Pundit addresses rumours of Man United’s £30m Arsenal raid: This...
- 09:45 Multi vehicle accident on M62 near Leeds
- 09:45 Milo Yiannopoulos banned from conference over paedophilia comments
- 09:45 Children's sex book causes stir in Indonesia