Shooting deaths, school closures worsen recent Rio crime wave
Police killed at least two suspected drug traffickers on Monday during a day-long shootout in the hills overlooking one of Rio de Janeiro's wealthiest districts, the latest in a wave of violent clashes that elsewhere in the city caused 8,000 children to miss school.
The shootout, in the Pavão-Pavãozinho slum in the hills above the beachside neighbourhoods of Ipanema and Copacabana, prolongs what many Rio residents fear is a sharp decline in security just two months after the city hosted the Olympics and as public security budgets have been slashed because of Brazil's worst recession in... read more
- 09:52 Cruise news: Woman stuck in sea for an HOUR after FALLING overboard...
- 09:51 Khan signs up for Lancashire T-20 campaign
- 09:51 Morecambe’s Mullin hailed ahead of trip to Newport
- 09:51 Man hit with hammer then pushed through Burger King window in Skegness
- 09:51 Government records £9.4bn surplus in January
- 09:51 This hair dye will adapt its colour according to your surroundings
- 09:51 Air ambulance at scene of crash involving lorry and motorbike
- 09:50 'Stubborn' swan blocks M27 at Fareham
- 09:50 This Nottinghamshire design firm is looking to boost the web...
- 09:49 Burglars steal car keys from Sandiacre home - then take Citroen...
- 09:49 UK food and drink sales hit £20bn across the world
- 09:49 Roman Abramovich secures crucial deal: Chelsea fans will love this
- 09:48 Czechs, tired of being 'Europe's garbage can', will push for better...
- 09:48 China jails former head of safety watchdog for 15 years for graft
- 09:47 Serious cause behind the smile
- 09:47 Explorer Levison Wood to entertain Chesterfield with stories of his...
- 09:46 Sutton United boss hits out at 20-stone goalie Wayne Shaw for...
- 09:45 You can skip this ad in a year: YouTube drops 30-second commercials
- 09:45 YP Comment: The best and worst of politics
- 09:45 Pundit addresses rumours of Man United’s £30m Arsenal raid: This...
- 09:45 Multi vehicle accident on M62 near Leeds
- 09:45 Milo Yiannopoulos banned from conference over paedophilia comments
- 09:45 Children's sex book causes stir in Indonesia
- 09:45 COURT REGISTER
- 09:45 THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK: Catching God’s attention as spring arrives...
- 09:44 South Africa grants Barclays Africa some immunity in FX rigging probe
- 09:44 Hammond closes in on budget goal after strong January tax inflows
- 09:44 Mourinho mind games begin as Man Utd draw Chelsea in FA Cup
- 09:44 Marlpool model set for a comeback
- 09:44 Asia stocks consolidate recent gains; China shines