'Shocking' figures show a third of children behind at five
Almost a third of children in England are behind in their development when they start primary school, according to official figures for 2016.
And Department for Education statistics show pupils from poorer backgrounds are more likely to be lagging in their learning, literacy and numeracy levels.
The charity Save The Children called the figures "shocking".
But the government said the figures showed "a continued rise in numbers meeting the expected standards".
The Department for Education also pointed out that the gap between disadvantaged children and their peers was... read more
- 12:12 Charities join together to win the public's support
- 12:12 Top boxers aid Blackpool man’s specialist underpants firm
- 12:12 Awards success for VetPlus
- 12:12 Barry Meyers to rejoin JPMorgan after almost two years at Barclays
- 12:11 Have your say: Harrogate planning fees to rise in reform of system
- 12:11 Are Dave King and Rangers finally moving in the right direction? -...
- 12:11 Have your say on plans to replace historic Hartlepool statue
- 12:10 Loro Piana: A rare kind of luxury
- 12:10 Man receives postcard in the mail 40 years after it was sent
- 12:10 The dawn of DHELA
- 12:10 Aerial images show moment Khalid Masood was shot after London...
- 12:08 Chelsea target offers huge transfer update: He wants to play in the...
- 12:08 £10,000 reward to help find stolen jewellery from Burton Green
- 12:08 Trump administration approves Keystone XL pipeline
- 12:08 Swifts to fly high with council help
- 12:08 Meet Lois’s new running partner that has helped her train for a...
- 12:08 Sunderland legend Kevin Phillips unveiled as first star ambassador...
- 12:08 Coronation Street Insider: Sinead suffers heartbreaking miscarriage
- 12:08 Driver who sped through Antwerp shoppers faces terrorism charges
- 12:07 Deadline for voter registration is near for Deepings and Bourne
- 12:07 Bourne woman seriously injured in A15 crash
- 12:06 Europe's financial lifeline from London in doubt
- 12:06 Police search London terrorist attacker’s mum’s house
- 12:06 MPs may face new rules on second jobs
- 12:06 Fishergate bollard sent flying AGAIN
- 12:06 Man impaled through chest in horrific car crash
- 12:06 Falcon wing inspires jets of the future
- 12:06 Profits increase at livestock group
- 12:05 'What you need at that time is what you’re worth': the daily battle...
- 12:05 'One man's acts of violence have no place within any of the faiths'...