Share Hunter: Argos deal could edge Sainsbury’s ahead
Shopping habits have changed, with the rise of online delivery services and the increased popularity of shopping at local convenience outlets.
On top of that, discounters Aldi and Lidl have been eating up market share and putting pressure on their bigger competitors.
Over the past quarter, like-for-like sales fell 1.1 per cent (excluding fuel), though volumes were up. In other words, falling prices pushed overall sales into the red.
Food deflation bites hard on the supermarkets in an extremely competitive environment.
Sainsbury’s is getting more items passing through the checkouts, but the... read more
- 15:43 Ross Barkley to Arsenal: Gunners to challenge Tottenham for...
- 15:43 £4m EU cash to fund new Anglesey business units
- 15:43 North Wales police officer accused of stealing £72 bottle of...
- 15:41 Manchester United’s Romelu Lukaku has advantage over Chelsea...
- 15:39 Millers Bar shows why it keeps winning popularity awards
- 15:39 GlaxoSmithKline to sell UK Horlicks business - 320 jobs to be lost
- 15:38 Mercedes gearbox failures due to 'overstepping the mark' according...
- 15:38 Boy who died of brain tumour remembered by classmates with poignant...
- 15:38 Suspected leader of people smuggling gang extradited after arrest...
- 15:38 The latest education news and events in Hull and East Yorkshire for...
- 15:37 The 20 best action movies out now on Netflix
- 15:36 'Talented' Ruben Lameiras hailed by Plymouth Argyle manager after...
- 15:36 ‘F*****g tourists, go home!’ Explicit plane banner targets...
- 15:35 The Open 2017: Dustin Johnson admits Masters injury 'sucked' but...
- 15:35 Watch deaf Scottish footballer net top corner screamer against...
- 15:34 Woman, 26, claims she’s got the world’s oldest balloon
- 15:32 Mental health wards in Cumbria not up to standard
- 15:32 Man robbed at knife-point near Cumbrian church
- 15:32 Two sought after attempted building society fraud in Carlisle
- 15:32 Carr's Group trading 'as expected'
- 15:32 Anger as parents must pay £390 to send children to school 20 miles...
- 15:32 One day left to nominate your inspirational and amazing lady
- 15:32 Picnic to say farewell to popular Whitehaven headteacher
- 15:32 Lakes trains to run on 'alternative power'
- 15:32 Tribute paid to motorcyclist killed in crash on way home from...
- 15:31 Barrow pupils enjoy end-of-school celebration
- 15:32 Trucker who died on main Cumbrian road named by police
- 15:31 Mental health wards in Cumbria not up to standard
- 15:32 Up to £50m funding boost for West Cumberland Hospital
- 15:31 Lakes trains to run on 'alternative power'