Seven-hour stand-off between inmates and prison staff finally comes to an end
Prison staff were involved in a stand-off with inmates lasting almost seven hours following a disturbance at a jail.
An unknown number of prisoners refused to return to their cells at the end of the evening at HMP Birmingham, a category B and C jail.
G4S, which runs the jail, said the incident was ‘brought to a safe conclusion’ at around 11.45pm.
Prisoners were heard chanting ‘we want burn’ – a reference to the cigarette ban, which was brought into UK prisons on September 1.
Janine, whose brother is an inmate in HMP Birmingham, told Metro.co.uk: ‘I got a weird text message at about 6pm... read more
- 13:09 Sir Desmond Swayne 'embarrassed' by Commons snooze
- 13:09 MP raises issue of poor patient transport services
- 13:09 Quiz: How much of a Stormzy fan are you?
- 13:09 NHS 'haemorrhaging' nurses, experts say
- 13:09 Liverpool's Marko Grujic to join Cardiff on loan as Middlesbrough...
- 13:09 Floyd Mayweather rides a horse on the beach as boxing legend...
- 13:09 Businessman throws a lifeline to worried Carillion staff
- 13:09 Farewell to Ronaldinho, the first YouTube footballer: From...
- 13:08 Quiz: Could you pass Donald Trump's cognitive test?
- 13:08 Freedom of Hull given to city-born legendary actor Sir Tom Courtenay
- 13:07 More gales, rain and snow heading our way with Storm Georgina
- 13:07 Councillor to hear from constituents
- 13:07 Leeds United aim to rediscover their goal touch
- 13:07 Syrian refugees arrive in Leeds to be resettled across Yorkshire
- 13:07 MP raises issue of poor patient transport services
- 13:06 Alexis Sanchez Man Utd deal: Why Man City cooled interest in...
- 13:06 VIDEO: Watch gritters battling to keep North Yorkshire's highest...
- 13:06 Sharon inspires people to get out of debt
- 13:05 Man in hospital with serious injuries after being attacked in Runcorn
- 13:04 ‘Cynical’ decision by Derbyshire County Council to cut centre’s...
- 13:04 Former Facebook executive says the company is a 'living, breathing...
- 13:04 Businessman throws a lifeline to worried Carillion staff
- 13:04 East Midlands businesses invited to comment on Heathrow Airport...
- 13:04 Fears of an attack with weapons of mass destruction tops list of...
- 13:04 Road closed after man is seriously injured in collision with car
- 13:04 NHS 'haemorrhaging' nurses, experts say
- 13:03 Whisky distilleries on the rise in England and Wales
- 13:03 What is Tether? The only cryptocurrency RISING as bitcoin, Ripple...
- 13:03 Deepwater Horizon oil spill bill puts BP in deeper water
- 13:02 Pendle is fly-tipping hotspot