Services sector output 'grew strongly' in July despite Brexit vote
Output in Britain's powerhouse services sector "grew strongly" in July, defying expectations of a substantial slowdown in the wake of the Brexit vote.
Official figures showed that services output expanded by 0.4% in the first month after Britain voted to leave the European Union, driven by rising retail sales, a robust performance from the film industry and computer programming.
The update came as the Office for National Statistics (ONS) revised up its reading for the UK economy, with gross domestic product (GDP) growing 0.7% in the second quarter, up from a previous estimate of... read more
- 03:56 Arsenal told they must splash out more than £150m to secure these...
- 03:50 Boris Johnson accuses Saudi Arabia of 'playing proxy wars'
- 03:43 Airbnb backs off fight with governments, offers policy suggestions
- 03:43 Fightin' Talk: AJ Styles is the new TLC Smackdown champ
- 03:27 Sleaford and North Hykeham voters to choose new MP
- 03:15 North Lincolnshire fundraiser to celebrate the life of much-loved wife
- 03:15 Pupils lead ‘Santa Dash’ in memory of courageous teacher
- 03:12 EU takes action against UK, Germany over VW emissions scandal -...
- 03:10 Nikkei rises as Wall Street keeps climbing, but stronger yen keeps...
- 02:53 How difficult is it to avoid animal products in everyday life?
- 02:53 Car key jammers: What you need to know
- 02:53 Knife crime: Why are more youths carrying knives?
- 02:42 Did Ian Fleming steal the idea for James Bond?
- 02:37 Bin Laden crash pilot 'suffering from mental overload'
- 02:32 Most students' predicted A-levels 'wrong'
- 02:32 Football abuse: FA reacted 'dismissively' to protection calls
- 02:29 Red hot! Lucy Mecklenburgh flaunts her toned figure in a floral...
- 02:29 'I could have killed you!': Frankie Bridge told off husband Wayne...
- 02:29 ‘F**k!’: Keira Knightley reveals what her 19-month-old daughter...
- 02:29 Let the fun and games begin! Casey Batchelor turns heads on red...
- 02:29 What a festive liberty! Catherine Tate reprises her role as foul...
- 02:29 Smitten Mytton! Lottie Moss and Alex coordinate in grey ensembles...
- 02:29 Megan McKenna smoulders in a satin navy dress as she cosies up to...
- 02:22 Japan third-quarter GDP revised down as capex, inventories shrink
- 02:19 Trump says union head who accused him of lying has 'done a terrible...
- 01:56 Rag N Bone Man wins Brits Critics’ Choice Award 2017
- 01:56 Paul Hollywood: The Great British Bake Off will 'stay the same'
- 01:54 'Donald Trump WILL be President' US judge pulls the plug on recount...
- 01:54 Canada's pro-pipeline First Nations
- 01:38 Aleppo battle: Assad says victory in city would be 'huge step'