Senate rejects Obama veto of Saudi September 11 bill
The U.S. Senate overwhelmingly rejected on Wednesday President Barack Obama's veto of legislation allowing relatives of the victims of the Sept. 11 attacks to sue Saudi Arabia's government.
As voting continued, the count was 87-0 against the veto. The measure next goes to the House of Representatives, which is due to vote later on Wednesday. If two-thirds of House members also support the "Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act," it would be the first veto override of Obama's eight-year presidency.
(Reporting by Patricia Zengerle, Editing by Franklin Paul)
- 16:46 Disney's Moana continues US box office reign
- 16:46 Take a sneak-peek inside Lincolnshire's newest shopping centre
- 16:43 Many of Birmingham's ethnic minority children are taught in...
- 16:43 Which is better? Aston Martin DB11 vs Bentley Continental GT
- 16:43 Police crime reporting scandal as 170,000 calls to 101 go unanswered
- 16:41 Injured Tamworth policeman is back home
- 16:41 Prolific thief handed lengthy shops ban in Cumbria crackdown
- 16:39 EDF says will work fast to restart reactors after watchdog's...
- 16:39 Passenger buses in Leicester had to be diverted - because of parked...
- 16:36 Hughie Fury reveals February fight date with WBC heavyweight...
- 16:35 Police hunt driver of car who flees crash at Wortley Hotel
- 16:34 Stunning images taken by Lincolnshire Live followers
- 16:32 Supermarket recalls steak over allergy fears
- 16:30 Burnley Council director leaves post
- 16:28 WEATHER WARNING: Severe fog
- 16:27 Leicester woman's AMAZING transformation after losing more than...
- 16:26 Scouts deliver Christmas greetings
- 16:25 FINRA fines Credit Suisse over anti-money laundering policies
- 16:25 Council cautious on Marks and Spencer return to Morecambe
- 16:24 Gambia court frees prominent lawyer, 18 others jailed for protest
- 16:23 Last day to pledge! £84,000 raised so far for world’s first David...
- 16:23 Supermarket recalls steak over allergy fears
- 16:23 Father releases heartbreaking picture of son wiped out...
- 16:22 When Nottingham Forest legend Brian Clough played for Burton Albion...
- 16:22 Crowds flock to Clitheroe Christmas Festival
- 16:21 Supermarket recalls steak over allergy fears
- 16:21 Government urges Supreme Court to overturn Brexit ruling
- 16:21 List of 37 most virulent viruses drawn up
- 16:21 Appeal to reunite owner with Maudes Jewellers gift
- 16:21 Preston-based Lantei Compliance Services expands its team