'Sell in May and go away'? Not this year, as stocks power ahead in third quarter
Investors following the stock market maxim "Sell in May and go away" will be ruing that decision this year, after emerging market, Japanese and euro zone equities emerged as the biggest winners in the third quarter.
U.S. equities did less well but were still firmly into gains.
There are signs that the coming quarters may not be as robust, but for the third, the prospect of central banks keeping the stimulus taps open for longer following Britain's shock decision in June to leave the European Union boosted investors' risk appetite and demand for higher-yielding assets like stocks.... read more
- 14:55 Arsene Wenger reveals all on injury to key Arsenal man
- 14:55 Novak Djokovic's former coach: This is why he lost to Denis Istomin...
- 14:55 U.S housing starts surge in December; jobless claims near 43-year low
- 14:54 ‘We knew we had to go in’ say flat fire heroes
- 14:54 Centres to go under shake up of services for children
- 14:54 Tamworth FC: Youngsters from Amington enjoy a memorable meeting...
- 14:54 Additional one-lane closures announced for Tyne Tunnel
- 14:54 Diego Costa slammed: Chelsea star has shown greed, player power is...
- 14:53 Cash stolen in daylight house raid
- 14:52 UKIP's North Cumbria chairman resigns over "appalling" national...
- 14:53 Birmingham City transfer news and rumours LIVE: Blues in talks for...
- 14:52 Dozens of families risk losing their homes due to benefits clampdown
- 14:52 'Lost' holy well said to have mystical powers rediscovered near...
- 14:52 Number of firefighters covering Cumbria now unsafe, claims union
- 14:52 Payment delays and floods recovery 'creating real hardship for...
- 14:52 GP leader leaps in to defend doctors across Cumbria
- 14:52 Carlisle council scraps big rise in Talkin Tarn car parking charge
- 14:51 Samsung Galaxy S8: Release date revealed, price, design and features
- 14:51 xXx video clip: Nina Dobrev blushes at Ruby Rose sex gag in Return...
- 14:51 'I want to kill these dogs': question of whether to cull strays...
- 14:50 Vicky Pattison goes against her Geordie roots by committing...
- 14:50 Get tough approach on litter louts continues
- 14:50 Premier League star backed to make big transfer to top-four club
- 14:50 Additional one-lane closures announced for Tyne Tunnel
- 14:50 Ambulance service makes top 100 list for workplace equality
- 14:49 Company's ire leads to council's fly-tipping clean-up
- 14:49 Martin Keown: This is what went wrong for Memphis Deapy at...
- 14:49 Mauricio Pochettino reveals Tottenham transfer plans
- 14:48 Hetty’s centenary celebration
- 14:48 Centres to go under shake up of services for children