Self-employed earning less than 20 years ago
Members of Britain’s self-employed workforce are earning less money now than they were two decades ago, according to new research.
Thinktank Resolution Foundation’s latest Earnings Outlook report found that even as the number of workers in the sector has soared, the typical earnings are around £60 per week lower than in 2001-02.
A record 4.8 million people are classed as self-employed in the UK - a rise of 45 per cent since 2001-02 - although the foundation says that the make-up of the self-employed sector has changed significantly in that time.
Fewer self-employed people have staff of... read more
- 15:35 Award hopes for Gainsborough primary school
- 15:33 Shetland pony stabbed during incident at farm near Raunds
- 15:33 Appeal to find owner of CDs handed in at Wellingborough police station
- 15:32 Decision on plan to build 425 homes near Burton Green postponed
- 15:31 This is when the new £2.2M chemotherapy unit will open at Solihull...
- 15:30 Council has written off £2.1 million worth of business rates from...
- 15:30 Two desparate offenders tried to steal donated goods from a charity...
- 15:30 Appeal to find owner of CDs handed in at Wellingborough police station
- 15:29 Nasa reveals the truth about whether an apocalypse asteroid will...
- 15:29 Council has written off £2.1 million worth of business rates from...
- 15:29 Leeds lap dancing club Silks allowed to keep trading
- 15:27 Leeds United branded 'disgraceful' after announcing Myanmar tour
- 15:26 Man, 58, arrested in Burton on suspicion of being involved in...
- 15:26 Increased security at Birmingham Airport today - this is why
- 15:26 No spring in the property market's step: Dwindling supplies of...
- 15:25 Burton Albion ladies survive fightback to avenge previous defeat to...
- 15:24 Theatre Review Subtle slant on black and white issues
- 15:24 Music Review Voice and guitar virtuosity from Roberts and Lakeman
- 15:24 Friends take on 621 mile cycle challenge at Rutland Water
- 15:24 Theatre Review Distinctly rocky horror show
- 15:24 Blind Alec goes the distance for Uppingham’s Hopper
- 15:24 Music Review Sax sensations from Steve Williamson
- 15:24 Rutland businesses reap benefits of faster broadband
- 15:24 Theatre Review Soft-focus tribute to a gritty working-class writer
- 15:23 Harry Potter themed party announced for Edinburgh MagicFest
- 15:23 Prom fashion on parade in Alnwick
- 15:23 10 of the best Edinburgh beer gardens you might not know about
- 15:23 Streamers delighted as Jonny joins as manager
- 15:23 Portrait of local laird for sale
- 15:23 Cliff Richard case: Editor has 'no concerns' over helicopter footage