Self-driving cars let loose in California: Groundbreaking bill lets vehicles travel without a human driver inside
California is one step closer to making driverless cars a reality.
A bill signed on Thursday gives self-driving vehicles the freedom to travel on public roads without steering wheels, brake pedals or accelerators and most importantly, without human drivers.
However, the new legislation only applies to a pilot project by the Contra Costa Transportation Authority, who has chosen two sites in California for testing.
Scroll down for videos
WHAT DOES THE BILL SAY? A bill signed on Thursday gives self-driving vehicles the green light to travel on public roads without steering wheels, brake... read more
- 09:47 Capital’s Sigma extends Countryside deal
- 09:47 Lord Hague joins call for cannabis reform in wake of epilepsy...
- 09:47 Vehicle blaze closes M62 near Leeds
- 09:47 Air Ambulance called to Preston garage after 'car falls on man'
- 09:47 Burnley street gripped by World Cup fever
- 09:45 Burglary at York farm shop: Police release CCTV image of suspect
- 09:45 Union back on picket line as train strike hits Wigan
- 09:45 Cash stolen after thieves break into neighbouring shops in Corby
- 09:44 Booze-fuelled school-run mum narrowly escapes prison sentence after...
- 09:44 Teenage boy stabbed outside Sheffield pub
- 09:44 Chelsea transfer news: Sven Goran Eriksson reveals Roman Abramovich...
- 09:43 Vehicle blaze closes M62 near Leeds
- 09:42 OPINION: Kane world class as England dig deep in adversity to win...
- 09:42 Accident reported on A38 at Claymills - updates
- 09:42 Rugby man kept searching and downloading indecent images of...
- 09:41 Caravan camp appears on Stray in Harrogate
- 09:41 Harrogate Hospital's Emergency Department moved for temporary works
- 09:41 The headteacher column with Kris Henderson
- 09:41 Police bosses warn Brexit failure could hit fight against crime
- 09:41 Royal Ascot dress code, weather forecast, race times and when is...
- 09:40 Cash stolen after thieves break into neighbouring shops in Corby
- 09:40 Royal Border Bridge turning blue to mark NHS’s 70th birthday
- 09:38 Championship transfers: PSG want Middlesbrough man | Leeds bid...
- 09:38 Hartlepool United linked with swoop for non-league hotshot
- 09:38 Harrogate Hospital's Emergency Department moved for temporary works
- 09:37 Lincs ECB Premier: Louth CC First XI secure vital win against...
- 09:36 Burnley street gripped by World Cup fever
- 09:35 Booze-fuelled school-run mum narrowly escapes prison sentence after...
- 09:35 Burnley street gripped by World Cup fever
- 09:35 Counter demonstration against Local Plan protest ahead of council...