Self-driving cars let loose in California: Groundbreaking bill lets vehicles travel without a human driver inside
California is one step closer to making driverless cars a reality.
A bill signed on Thursday gives self-driving vehicles the freedom to travel on public roads without steering wheels, brake pedals or accelerators and most importantly, without human drivers.
However, the new legislation only applies to a pilot project by the Contra Costa Transportation Authority, who has chosen two sites in California for testing.
Scroll down for videos
WHAT DOES THE BILL SAY? A bill signed on Thursday gives self-driving vehicles the green light to travel on public roads without steering wheels, brake... read more
- 15:04 Adrian Greenwood stabbing: Man guilty of Wind in the Willows murder
- 15:03 Man had facial injuries after assault in Chesterfield bar
- 15:03 Joe Schmidt extends stay as Ireland head coach
- 15:03 Warwickshire trading standards: ‘ham and cheese’ pizzas did not...
- 15:03 Sikh temple incident update: one man cautioned as investigation...
- 15:02 Babies should share bedroom with parents - but in their own bed
- 15:02 Morrisons launches in-store pumpkin carving lessons for parents
- 15:02 The Centre Project, Granby Street, warns it will have to close –...
- 15:02 BFI research shows cinema-goers in Grimsby really liked 50 Shades...
- 15:02 Man suffers facial injuries in robbery outside Asda
- 15:02 Ward closed at Grimsby hospital due to diarrhoea and vomiting
- 15:01 Morrisons launches in-store pumpkin carving lessons for parents
- 15:00 Wall St. opens higher as M&A activity boosts confidence
- 14:59 Man City duo miss out on Golden Boy award
- 14:58 On the Wildside
- 14:58 Some SWIFT thinking has helped to reduce spillage from seed feeders
- 14:58 Young artist competition winners
- 14:58 Jus Rol site has been bought by bakery group
- 14:57 Tweed boat trips could play bigger role in town
- 14:57 Bid to create the North East’s first underwater dive trail
- 14:57 Puppy Charlie to have his life-saving operation, thanks to...
- 14:56 Chatburn woman dies in house blaze
- 14:56 Rugby Rotary Clubs join forces to tackle polio
- 14:56 Hunt for man who snatched woman’s iPhone as she sat at Blackpool...
- 14:55 Arrest over chemical alert at London City Airport
- 14:55 PC Semple murder: Witness heard 'someone throwing up on the carpet'
- 14:54 Would-be thief’s blood laid trail for police in Mansfield
- 14:54 Brexit knock-on not directly hitting local business
- 14:53 Extra brown bin collections during November in Wellingborough
- 14:53 Developer hoping to retain heritage of Rushden factory with new flats