"Seismic swarm" rattles Iceland volcano, flight alert raised a notch
Iceland raised its aviation alert by a notch on Friday after several earthquakes hit one of the country's biggest volcanoes, the strongest tremors since a string of quakes last month raised concerns over a possible eruption.
The alert only moved to the second lowest level of the four color scale, but in 2010, ash from an eruption of the nearby Eyjafjallajokull volcano resulted in a major part of Europe's airspace having to close for several days.
The Icelandic Met Office said two quakes, the largest with a magnitude of 3.7, had shaken the Katla volcano in southern Iceland and that "an... read more
- 03:32 China ramp up border security to halt ‘flames of war’ overflowing...
- 03:24 Spectacular display of vintage and classic cars and motorbikes line...
- 03:24 Mayor of Millom delivers boost to good causes
- 03:24 Rock the Fells showcases breadth of local talent
- 03:24 GALLERY: Cartmel Racecourse sizzles in the sun on day one of...
- 03:24 Boy in Piel Island rescue drama after bad fall leaves him with...
- 03:24 Police investigation launched following unexplained death in Barrow
- 03:24 Still time to win family ticket for Ulverston and North Lonsdale Show
- 03:24 Nuclear chief to chair innovation body
- 03:24 Crews tackle car fire in Barrow
- 03:24 Furness pension campaign group to meet
- 03:24 Lakes hotel up for quirky national award
- 03:24 Appeal for information after mother and child verbally abused in...
- 03:24 Police investigate 'smash and grab' burglary at Grange jeweller's
- 03:24 Eight vehicles damaged in Barrow
- 03:24 Multi-million pound deal for south Cumbria's innovators
- 03:24 Royal visit pays tribute to Furness community and business
- 03:24 Get snapping in Lakes photo treasure hunt
- 03:24 Police appeal after double assault in Bowness
- 03:24 It's show time for Ulverston agricultural event
- 03:24 Crowds flock to Coniston Country Fair
- 03:24 Thousands enjoy Taste Cumbria Summer Festival
- 03:24 Police issue security advice following spate of Cumbria farm...
- 03:24 Barrow woman's tragic 20-year battle with mental health
- 03:24 Sports spectacular in the Lakes this week
- 03:24 Full steam ahead for gathering
- 03:24 South Cumbria school community delighted to gain £350,000 for...
- 03:24 Cumbria police to raise awareness of child neglect as part of...
- 03:24 Failure to cut alcohol use will 'cost lives' of Cumbrians
- 03:24 New luxury buses to operate between Grasmere and Bowness