Seeds hold hidden treasures for future food
More than 70,000 of the world's most precious seeds have been sent from the UK's Millennium Seed Bank to the Middle East, in its largest export to date.
The consignment contains more than 50 wild relatives of cultivated crops, such as wheat, barley and lentils.
The seeds will be used for food security research at a seed bank in Lebanon, which is recreating collections destroyed in Syria.
The Millennium Seed Bank at Kew is the world's largest wild plant seed bank.
Seeds from the resilient, wild cousins of modern food crops are being collected and stored in an international effort.
The aim is... read more
- 16:04 Inspirational film about Whitnash man’s cancer battle shows the...
- 16:04 Community rallying to help children's football club in Southam...
- 16:03 VIDEO: 'Somebody out there knows what happened' - Top cop issues...
- 16:03 Riverside development will "transform" Castleford
- 16:02 Longridge's Palace Cinema opens bigger and better than ever before...
- 16:02 Man Utd transfer news: Cristiano Ronaldo has Real Madrid 'mission'...
- 16:01 Riverside development will "transform" Castleford
- 16:01 Boy, 14, sent home from school because ‘his haircut violated...
- 16:01 VIDEO: 'Somebody out there knows what happened' - Top cop issues...
- 16:00 Public Health England warns of measles outbreak at music festivals
- 15:59 Bouncebackability: a word coined for the play-offs that fits them...
- 15:59 Arsenal in talks with defender Stephan Lichtsteiner over free transfer
- 15:57 VIDEO: Decline in Puffin numbers on the Farnes
- 15:57 National award for Kettering teacher
- 15:56 Liverpool’s best Champions League final chant REVEALED – as chosen...
- 15:56 VIDEO: 'Somebody out there knows what happened' - Top cop issues...
- 15:55 Man accused of killing Sheffield toddler due back in court next week
- 15:54 World champion boxer Robin Reid takes to the ring with young Daniel...
- 15:53 Cow’s burps could become less damaging if we feed them seaweed
- 15:53 Man accused of killing Sheffield toddler due back in court next week
- 15:53 BREAKING NEWS: Person hit by train at Doncaster railway station
- 15:53 VIDEO: Decline in Puffin numbers on the Farnes
- 15:52 Liverpool star James Milner is BETTER than Cristiano Ronaldo – new...
- 15:52 Man accused of killing Sheffield toddler due back in court next week
- 15:52 RSC confirms David Walliams and Robbie Williams collaboration
- 15:52 Stratford skipper Whelan eyeing title challenge
- 15:51 Thunderstorms: What causes this extreme weather phenomena and can...
- 15:51 New gin bar and real ale pub on the way?
- 15:51 Scotland school clothing grant of £100 to relieve family pressure
- 15:51 Boy arrested over stabbing death of Sheffield teenager