Scunthorpe's Grand Old Buildings - the redundant Grade II listed signal box passed by 100s every day



A LANDMARK by the lineside, Wrawby Junction signal box, has Grade II listed building status.
It closed last December – just a few months short of what would have been 100 years' faithful service.
Situated where three North Lincolnshire railway lines come together, the busy box was built in 1916 and was the biggest anywhere on the Great Central Railway.
Signalmen had 137 levers to be pulled in the correct order to ensure the safe passage of trains on the lines leading from Barnetby to Lincoln, Brigg and Scunthorpe respectively.
During the age of steam there was also a turntable within sight... read more

 
16 October 2016 in Yorkshire & Humber, Views: 23
Share:
  •  





    News Widget for Webmasters



    Bring Eugene's son back home immediately

    Realtime News

     

    «
    »
    Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
          1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31