Scottish Labour to consider using tax-raising powers for public services
THE Scottish Labour leader has hinted that the party is considering using new tax-raising powers to pay for public services.
• The Scotland Act allows the Scottish Parliament to make variations on income tax
• Johann Lamont last week called for an end to a ‘something for nothing’ culture
• Ms Lamont said in an interview that taxes will need to be raised or services cut in order to fund popular but expensive SNP pledges such as the council-tax freeze
Johann Lamont said a debate was needed over whether to use the powers and whether people would find it acceptable.
Her comments come a day... read more
- 00:55 Elliot Rodger: How misogynist killer became 'incel' hero
- 00:55 Diplomacy on the menu: How food can shape politics
- 00:53 The Yorkshire Post says: A timely warning. The digitally-dependent...
- 00:53 The Yorkshire Post says: Health of nation. Weighing up obesity...
- 00:52 Sudoku 4044 hard
- 00:49 School sex abuse: 'My son was raped on a play date'
- 00:49 Primary school mental health counselling may help economy, study says
- 00:49 Drugs 'used by two in five students'
- 00:49 Dementia risk linked to some medicines
- 00:49 NHS needs '£50bn extra by 2030'
- 00:49 Former champion Neil Robertson stunned by qualifier Robert Milkins...
- 00:48 UK supermarkets launch voluntary pledge to cut plastic packaging
- 00:48 UK car production falls on Brexit fears and diesel sales slump
- 00:40 Barry Ferguson says not only is Allan McGregor still a great...
- 00:37 Former Ibrox skipper Barry Ferguson admits to concerns that Rangers...
- 00:37 Saracens chief Mark McCall backs Owen Farrell to be a 'brilliant...
- 00:36 Stella McCartney teams up with Beano and Dandy for new fashion range
- 00:33 'Women hold this city together': Sheffield rolls out honours in...
- 00:33 Home-schooling in the UK increases 40% over three years
- 00:32 Student complaints about UK universities growing, says watchdog
- 00:32 Korean talks: What will come from Kim-Moon meeting?
- 00:32 'Archaic and harmful': report condemns strict handling of student...
- 00:32 Bank economist calls for counselling for primary school pupils
- 00:32 'Women hold this city together': Sheffield rolls out honours in...
- 00:30 Revealed: Life in pre-NHS wards
- 00:30 Mark Williams pulls off amazing no-look fluke to pot green at...
- 00:26 Labor to match Coalition in dumping Medicare levy rise as tax...
- 00:26 Facebook posts record revenues for first quarter despite privacy...
- 00:22 Kim Cattrall gives blessing to Alan Carr as he teases role of...
- 00:16 I was a teenage 'money mule'