Scottish Labour leadership branded a 'poisoned chalice' as the party struggles to replace Kezia Dugdale
The Scottish Labour leadership was branded a “poisoned chalice” last night as the party struggled to find candidates to replace Kezia Dugdale.
Opponents put the boot in after two bookies’ favourites ruled themselves out of the contest within hours of the resignation.
Left-wingers Alex Rowley and Neil Findlay said they had no interest in becoming the party’s fourth boss since the independence referendum three years ago.
No Scottish Labour politician was willing to put their head above the parapet to confirm they’d stand.
Rowley, who was Dugdale’s deputy and is now interim leader, has close... read more
- 22:09 "I'm so happy" - Cumbrian singer makes it through to next round of...
- 22:02 Romanian film about fear of sexual intimacy wins Golden Bear at...
- 22:00 Mansfield teen’s car vandalism spree
- 22:00 Mum ransacked handbag in Mansfield nightclub
- 21:57 The big freeze is coming to UK and it could ‘feel colder than...
- 21:56 Lionel Messi: Barcelona star breaks two records against Girona,...
- 21:54 Labour alliance piles pressure on Corbyn over Brexit stance
- 21:50 Barcelona 6-1 Girona: Luis Suarez scores hat-trick while Lionel...
- 21:50 Only use A&E in an emergency, plead health trust bosses
- 21:43 As Corbyn shifts Labour towards soft Brexit, Tory jitters grow
- 21:40 Gary Neville responds to claims Marcus Rashford should consider...
- 21:39 Six Nations 2018: How England head coach Eddie Jones was outsmarted...
- 21:37 'Game over' - Analysis from yet another Birmingham City horror show
- 21:37 The tide is turning - West Brom analysis as Alan Pardew's side edge...
- 21:36 Pub offers 25% discount to customers who hand in mobile phones at door
- 21:36 Bassetlaw drink driver crashed into railings in Mansfield
- 21:36 Mum ransacked handbag in Mansfield nightclub
- 21:26 Teachers ‘£5,000 a year worse off under Tories’
- 21:26 Flowers, drinks and a dog: vice-chancellors claimed £8m in expenses...
- 21:26 Revealed: British university vice-chancellors’ five-star expenses
- 21:25 Women’s rights activist: ‘I was harassed working at UN aid agency’
- 21:21 Catwoman writer calls movie 'sh** and shameful' in Black Panther...
- 21:18 Ex soldier’s arrest for wrapping belt around hand in Mansfield fracas
- 21:16 Is Chester's Andrew Brady dating Love Island host Caroline Flack?
- 21:15 Review: Morrissey, Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle
- 21:15 Sunderland boss delivers verdict on controversial decisions in...
- 21:11 Could IVANKA broker peace with North Korea? Controversial Kim...
- 21:09 Camden Roundhouse evacuated due to ’emergency’ during AMP Sounds Party
- 21:09 Watford star Abdoulaye Doucoure welcomes interest from Arsenal...
- 21:08 Ex soldier’s arrest for wrapping belt around hand in Mansfield fracas