Scottish councils 'spend hundreds of millions' on servicing debts
Councils are spending hundreds of millions of pounds servicing their debts, according to the Scottish Greens.
An analysis for the party found that Scotland's 32 councils owe £11.5bn between them.
The money is owed to banks and a scheme set up by the UK Treasury.
A typical council spends the equivalent of 42% of its council tax money servicing the debts, the research indicated.
One council - Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council) - spends more servicing its debts than it raises in council tax locally, although the authority told BBC Scotland its financial arrangements were... read more
- 08:01 Colombia conflict: ELN rebels free Dutch journalists
- 07:59 Lights, camera, action! Behind the scenes of a new cinema advert...
- 07:55 Spa pool at Huddersfield Leisure Centre may never reopen
- 07:54 Join Skegness school for 40th anniversary June Day Jaunt celebration
- 07:53 Arsenal transfer news LIVE updates: Lacazette latest, Mbappe hope,...
- 07:53 Travellers pitch up on Myton Fields again
- 07:50 Henry Onyekuru gets UK visa after Arsenal agree £6.8m transfer fee...
- 07:49 Former Coventry City defender Blair Adams joins Hartlepool United
- 07:49 Video 5 of 5: Heatwave a boost for Grantham Carnival
- 07:44 RMT announces three-day strike on Northern rail network
- 07:43 Peter O'Mahony's journey from the back pitches of his local club in...
- 07:43 New Zealand vs British and Irish Lions LIVE: Follow all the action...
- 07:41 The biggest fee paid in every Premier League summer transfer window...
- 07:41 Colwyn Bay promenade development countdown as school holiday looms
- 07:41 These are the road closures for Cycle Live Nottingham this weekend
- 07:34 La Liga stadiums ranked by capacity: Which grounds are biggest?
- 07:27 Care home in Ellesmere Port is shut after family's audio recording...
- 07:26 Lindisfarne Oysters seeks new customers
- 07:26 Conservation work under way at Holy Island church
- 07:25 Visa refusal leaves mother and toddler 4,000 miles apart
- 07:25 UK's first heart pump targets 2018 clinical trial
- 07:21 Gareth Shaw: Finance fraudsters exploit gap in the rules
- 07:21 Glasgow Jazz Festival: Neil Cowley Trio | Mezcla
- 07:21 St Magnus Festival: The Story of Magnus Erlendsson | Edinbugh Quartet
- 07:21 Theatre: Death of a Salesman
- 07:21 Edinburgh International Film Festival
- 07:17 It is a bad time of year for hayfever sufferers but these tips...
- 07:15 Birdwatch: Remarkable year for spoonbills
- 07:15 Wolds Diary: A sunset worth stopping for
- 07:13 Man City and Tottenham in negotiations for Kyle Walker and more...