Scott Macnab: Scottish slump not down to Brexit
When the Alex Salmond made history almost a decade ago by winning power at Holyrood and becoming Scotland’s first pro-independence leader he immediately sought to bolster the country’s economy.
Scotland’s growth must be brought up to the same level as the rest of the UK, the former oil economist proclaimed. He judged that prosperity and the job security that follows was the best way to show Scots how a Nationalist administration could be trusted with the reins of power.
And in fairness to Salmond he did exactly this. For the bulk of his time in office Scotland’s growth largely matched, and... read more
- 16:36 Scottish X Factor reject blasts Nicole Scherzinger and accuses her...
- 16:36 AI creates gallery of nightmare images for Halloween
- 16:35 Leicester’s hospitals have 1,300 patients waiting over a MONTH for...
- 16:35 Wall St. falls as earnings from some big names disappoint
- 16:33 Investigation after blaze rips through terraced Birstall house
- 16:33 Next IMF aid tranche demands tough, Ukraine official warns
- 16:32 Outraged MP tweets photo of 'xenophobic' refugee poster in Parliament
- 16:32 Mark Carney 'understands' savers' anger with low interest rates as...
- 16:32 'Wonky' Harris Hawk stolen in break-in
- 16:31 Charitable young people help renovate Nelson centre
- 16:31 Jack O'Connell to star in Alexander McQueen biopic
- 16:30 Schweinsteiger belongs on Manchester United team sheet says German...
- 16:30 Guardiola reluctant to throw Man City kids in against Manchester...
- 16:30 Halloween makeup: How to do this spooky skeleton manicure
- 16:29 Why can’t the NHS treat my mental health as effectively as my cancer?
- 16:29 Libyan interference in rescue may have caused 30 migrant deaths -...
- 16:28 Anglesey Aluminium demolition starts to make way for £1bn biomass park
- 16:28 NHS fertility pioneer who helped thousands have children dies at...
- 16:28 Nazi POW's postcard returned to family by teacher
- 16:27 Police provide update over shocking footage of girl beaten in...
- 16:26 ‘Fascinating’ photographic archive of 1920s Leith published online
- 16:26 Win a magical Disney holiday
- 16:26 Music review: Goat
- 16:25 Elderly couple feel lucky to be alive after car smashes into their...
- 16:25 Ex-car auction firm boss 'can't wait for justice' in Lloyds Bank...
- 16:25 Brackley robber who cut woman’s hand with knife sentenced to four...
- 16:25 Morrisons launches in-store pumpkin carving lessons for parents
- 16:25 Which country is the most generous in the world?
- 16:24 US child porn case Briton loses High Court extradition battle
- 16:24 These 37 medical treatments are completely pointless, according to...