Scott Macnab: Scottish slump not down to Brexit
When the Alex Salmond made history almost a decade ago by winning power at Holyrood and becoming Scotland’s first pro-independence leader he immediately sought to bolster the country’s economy.
Scotland’s growth must be brought up to the same level as the rest of the UK, the former oil economist proclaimed. He judged that prosperity and the job security that follows was the best way to show Scots how a Nationalist administration could be trusted with the reins of power.
And in fairness to Salmond he did exactly this. For the bulk of his time in office Scotland’s growth largely matched, and... read more
- 17:31 Mount Brexit threatens to blow as May calls cabinet to Chequers
- 17:31 Carlisle takeaway boss fined after peanut allergy customer ended up...
- 17:31 Cumbrian school evacuated following oven "malfunction"
- 17:31 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge put some of the final touches to...
- 17:30 Talyllyn Railway marks locomotives' 100th birthday
- 17:30 Great Yarmouth Charter Academy bans 'McDonald's' hairstyle
- 17:30 Eating your way to a healthier life
- 17:28 Twitter bot purge prompts backlash
- 17:28 The Wolves view on the Aston Villa powershift
- 17:28 This is what Aston Villa cult hero Moustapha Salifou is doing now
- 17:27 My best photograph: Mars rover Curiosity's shot of the hill she'll...
- 17:27 Eating your way to a healthier life
- 17:26 Climbing Kilimanjaro for teenager who died after leukaemia battle
- 17:25 Climbing Kilimanjaro for teenager who died after leukaemia battle
- 17:24 Kate Middleton shows off her bump at BAFTAs 2018 in plunging green...
- 17:24 BAFTAs 2018: Actresses who IGNORED black dress code, including...
- 17:23 Brave woman who spent hours shaving 'freakish' body hair has...
- 17:23 American evangelist Billy Graham dies aged 99 after 70 years in the...
- 17:23 Gerry fired up by chemistry magazine feature
- 17:23 Business rallies to support MPM after fire
- 17:22 Young shopkeeper faces down raiders armed with brick
- 17:22 PNE ace Fisher pays price for yellow card
- 17:21 Spalding man Mitchell Ede wanted by police
- 17:21 Youth arrested after alleged assaults on teachers at University...
- 17:21 Young shopkeeper faces down raiders armed with brick
- 17:21 Changing the emphasis on university funding
- 17:21 The many tongues of Lost in Books, the only bookstore in Fairfield
- 17:21 Vice-chancellors told high pay is immoral amid rising student debt
- 17:21 Vikings season 5: Showrunner CONFIRMS ‘significant’ deaths 'There...
- 17:21 Paul Pogba set to be left out of Manchester United’s starting line...