Scots children hospitalised for polio-like virus
Four children have been admitted to the Sick Kids Hospital on suspicion of a polio-like virus which carries a risk of paralysis, reports suggest.
A small cluster of children from the south east Scotland have been struck down by enterovirus D68, a rare respiratory bug spread through coughs and sneezes.
The virus, which has no cure or anti-viral vaccine, can leave patients unable to walk and unable to breathe or swallow in the most extreme cases.
The Scottish cases are all being treated at the Sick Kids Hospital, in Edinburgh.
It is understood that the four primary-age children had struggled... read more
- 14:01 Art reviews: Louise Bourgeois | Stephen Sutcliffe | Sara Barker
- 14:00 Donations needed to go under the gavel at charity auction
- 14:00 Alert over Paw Patrol soap after toddler left fighting for life
- 13:59 Japanese pornstars treat fans to farting performance
- 13:59 P&G staff dig deep for hospice
- 13:59 Tory minister defends his comments about killing UK IS fighters
- 13:59 Everton sack Ronald Koeman after 16 months in charge at Goodison Park
- 13:59 Manchester United must 'stick together' after first Premier League...
- 13:59 Alert over Paw Patrol soap after toddler left fighting for life
- 13:57 Birmingham Prison bosses received 'indicators' of £6m riot BEFORE...
- 13:57 Solihull power cut: Live updates as town centre shops evacuated
- 13:56 Neighbours spoilers: Olympia Valance exit confirmed? Fears for...
- 13:56 Kim Cattrall age, net worth and early television and film appearances
- 13:55 Russia radio presenter stabbed in neck
- 13:54 Female MPs reveal harrowing accounts of sexual assault
- 13:54 Man 'stabbed five times' outside St Leonards school
- 13:54 Dylan Barker 'captured the hearts of of everyone he met', says...
- 13:53 Residents call the police after being ‘terrorised’ by a goat
- 13:52 Children with alcoholic parents face a greater risk of having...
- 13:52 Dementia diet: Whether fish or omega-3 supplements are better REVEALED
- 13:52 Five reasons a visit to Loch Lomond is good for the soul
- 13:52 Can't be bothered to floss? Seven percent of people use strands of...
- 13:52 Asthma UK gym advice: Do THESE eight things to make exercising with...
- 13:52 Theatre: Joyce McMillan reports from the Dublin International...
- 13:52 Swansea vs Manchester United TV channel, kick-off time, date, odds...
- 13:52 Woman, 21, 'sweats' BLOOD from her face and the palms of her hands...
- 13:52 VIDEO: Derbyshire mum's warning after toddler is dragged inside...
- 13:52 Journey’s End movie trailer: INCREDIBLE first look at WW1 classic –...
- 13:52 Woman, 40, whose brain is dropping out of her skull and crushing...
- 13:52 Wilko launches half price Pick n Mix sale