Scots babies at higher risk of catching flu if they have older siblings
Small children run a significantly greater risk of serious illness from flu if they have older siblings.
A study of 400,000 Scots children shows babies and toddlers are more likely to be admitted to hospital with flu complications if they are not the first born in their family.
Researchers said children are “effective spreaders” of respiratory infections and can easily pass viruses on to vulnerable younger siblings.
Parents can help protect young children by getting older offspring vaccinated.
- 10:04 FYI, we’ve been drinking red wine at the wrong temperature
- 10:04 16 reasons not to be cynical about Christmas
- 10:04 Actually, my mental health does define who I am
- 10:03 Trees could soon replace streetlights after scientists create...
- 10:03 Where is Grenfell Tower and when was the disaster?
- 10:01 The most shared thing posted to Facebook in 2017 has been revealed
- 10:01 Threave Rovers aim to go top of the South of Scotland League with...
- 10:00 BBC Breakfast: Naga Munchetty SHUNS Charlie Stayt over shock Star...
- 10:00 Murder charge after death of Cumbrian man
- 09:59 Berwick Children’s Centre is praised by Ofsted
- 09:58 The devil is REAL: Pope says Satan MORE INTELLIGENT than mortals in...
- 09:58 NOT AGAIN! Santa's Sleigh attacked for a second time in Bridlington
- 09:58 Chelsea tipped to use Michy Batshuayi as bait to land Monaco ace...
- 09:58 Joanna’s Apprentice dream crsuhed after “savage” interview round
- 09:57 Bryn Terfel is the latest star to quit Tosca
- 09:56 Teen Tyler remembered for his ‘infectious giggle’
- 09:56 Football club’s stand against male suicide
- 09:56 Sweets expert reveals country's favourite Christmas confections
- 09:54 Win tickets to see Sunderland AFC take on Fulham FC
- 09:54 Sunderland children's services spend £7.7million on agency staff as...
- 09:53 ASOS launches new Star Wars collection
- 09:53 The Christmas tractor run returns in aid of Katharine House
- 09:53 Top UN award for Pock Man
- 09:52 Black Friday lifts UK retail sales in November
- 09:52 Girl saves dad’s bakery with single tweet
- 09:51 VIDEO: Police and forensics on the scene as Buckingham Street in...
- 09:50 Rumours: Barcelona to continue pursuit of Liverpool star
- 09:49 Liverpool news: Jurgen Klopp targets Atletico Madrid ace Sime...
- 09:49 St Mirren boss Jack Ross calls for greater protection for star man...
- 09:49 Nelson woman accused of pocketing £71,000 from Burnley care home