Scotland’s MPs cut from 59 to 53 in constituency review
Wide-ranging changes to Scottish constituencies which will see Scotland’s MPs cut from 59 to 53 are being announced tomorrow.
Some senior politicians are expected to find their seats are due to be axed under the plans, which form part of a package aimed at reducing the total number of Westminster MPs from 650 to 600 and minimising variations in the size of electorates.
Constituencies should be within 5% of the UK electoral average or “quota” of 74,769. In other words, each seat should be no smaller than 71,031 voters and no larger than 78,507.
But there are exceptions to this rule - in the... read more
- 10:02 Plans approved to demolish the landmark Saltersgate Inn
- 10:02 Arsenal to CONFIRM Arsene Wenger exit? Tweet from journalist sends...
- 10:02 Lytham library plan launched by friends group
- 10:01 Jubilant times at Jubilee Park
- 10:00 Burton boxing legend Frazer Clarke set for homecoming celebrations...
- 09:58 Chorley couple celebrates 60 years of marriage - and welcomes five...
- 09:57 Sisters undergoing chemotherapy 11,000 miles apart launch ‘Feel the...
- 09:57 Significant increase in arsons across Leicestershire last year
- 09:57 Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho sent Paul Pogba warning in worrying...
- 09:56 Search for family after Brighouse man, 65, dies
- 09:56 Windrush: Alan Johnson says landing cards decision was made in 2009
- 09:55 Competition: Win tickets to Burnley's Reel Cinema
- 09:55 Scottish sports stars should 'safeguard lucrative deals'
- 09:55 In pictures: How Leeds made the most of the mini heatwave
- 09:55 Search for family after Brighouse man, 65, dies
- 09:54 Parking action plan developed for Berwick
- 09:54 Competition: Win tickets to Burnley's Reel Cinema
- 09:54 The Queen wants Prince Charles to take over as Commonwealth head
- 09:54 Half of drivers think speeding is acceptable, poll finds
- 09:53 Egyptian Premier League moves fixtures so nation can watch Mohamed...
- 09:53 House extension destroyed in blaze
- 09:53 Investigation to begin today into cause of Peckleton explosion
- 09:53 Chris Coleman still in the dark but desperate to be big part of...
- 09:51 PREMIER LEAGUE & FA CUP PREVIEW: Heavyweight tie as Man Utd face...
- 09:51 Competition: Win tickets to Burnley's Reel Cinema
- 09:50 Closure of Denstone Stores prompts concern older villagers could...
- 09:49 Firefighters tackle digger blaze in South Cumbria
- 09:49 Mum who gave birth at Northampton General Hospital names baby after...
- 09:49 Firefighters tackle house fire on the Fairmead Estate in Melton
- 09:48 Half of drivers think speeding is acceptable, poll finds